What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
As a general rule, if it has an olive or an o-ring then you don’t use PTFE as it doesn’t really do anything. The threads aren’t designed to seal and are just there to hold the assembly together and compress the o-ring or olive. It’s the olive or o-ring that should be making the seal.

if the o-ring or olive doesn’t do the job, that’s where the putty or jointing compound comes in depending on the job.

But as you’ve said the pipes don’t line up correctly I’d fix the root cause rather than trying to hack it together. You can get telescopic or flexi waste sections which will do the job.

Soldato
Useful post, thanks. I typically PTFE everything out of habit. However when I swapped my taps yesterday I didn't. They're hard lines. There wasn't any PTFE on the old taps either. However I did PTFE my inline valve replacement.

Whats the rule? I can envisage hard lines to taps hitting your rad valve rule...

Switch to plastic :D

Ptfe on olives if you are going to use it, not on the thread. I use loctite 55 now rather than ptfe on joints that need it, never leaks.

As for waste pipe, I wouldnt just putty it. It will leak again in the future. Cut out and replace the pipe is the best option if it is solvent welded.

Last edited:
Associate
gqmLe1i_d.webp

Started to build a shed.
Base 1 day, block work 1 day, front and back frames a day, then roof timbers 1 day including lifting the panels into place and bolting them down.
Frame is 3x2, tyvec skinned, then shiplap and painted. 100mm insulation in between and some left over weed control frantic stapled in the front. Roof is 6x2
Will carry on tomorrow, hopefully.
Ran out of shiplap and windows not ready to collect yet
SeqTcFJ_d.webp

Associate
Chasing with this cutter hardest thing I've ever done, there's virtually no plaster and its twin brick walls no breeze block. So its cutting 3cm deep into brick with 3 blades and you have to push it up as well as onto the wall with crap hand placement. Just does take it out of you, 7 rads done and 3 sockets per room and hot and cold water chasing still to do.

gE2ndlt.jpg
F70lNQi.jpg
BaLCqQj.jpg

Soldato
Chasing with this cutter hardest thing I've ever done, there's virtually no plaster and its twin brick walls no breeze block. So its cutting 3cm deep into brick with 3 blades and you have to push it up as well as onto the wall with crap hand placement. Just does take it out of you, 7 rads done and 3 sockets per room and hot and cold water chasing still to do. Is plumbers mate just a thin putty?

gE2ndlt.jpg
F70lNQi.jpg
BaLCqQj.jpg
Why not go and and chisel it out? To the posts above about my sink, access is very poor less than 6 inch if height I'd say. I could saw off the pipe but doubt it would be a straight cut due to access issues.

Last edited:
Associate
Why not go and and chisel it out? To the posts above about my sink, access is very poor less than 6 inch if height I'd say. I could saw off the pipe but doubt it would be a straight cut due to access issues.

Its a 3 bedroomed bungalow that I have completely gutted. New Central heating, complete rewire, new wet room, kitchen and orangey extension onto the kitchen.
There's about 34 vertical chases and 5 horizontal, even though its hard there's no mess hoover attached and its quicker and leaves perfect channels. It turns the debris into brick dust, only have too chisel the last 6 inches at ceilings.

Soldato
Dug down 1 meter to plumb in a new waste water gully for the garage... About killed me, feel stiff this morning lol. Will start the pipework this afternoon

Drainage pipework finished off after far too many expletives... faught me every step of the way, went to Toolstation and got about 7 different fittings only to find out Sunday afternoon I didn't get the one I needed :p tried to fudge something together with what I had which didn't work out, wasted a pipe in the process. Thankfully when I got the fitting I needed today (and a new pipe) all was rosey with the world...

Moral of the story, put things down, don't stress, stuff CAN wait until tomorrow...

Soldato
Chasing with this cutter hardest thing I've ever done, there's virtually no plaster and its twin brick walls no breeze block. So its cutting 3cm deep into brick with 3 blades and you have to push it up as well as onto the wall with crap hand placement. Just does take it out of you, 7 rads done and 3 sockets per room and hot and cold water chasing still to do.

gE2ndlt.jpg
F70lNQi.jpg
BaLCqQj.jpg

I thought you had to paint or cover copper pipe chased into walls because the mortor or plaster corrodes copper.

The lad I worked for bought a BTL and he soon found out the wall round the hall rad was wet -I ended up digging plasterboard out and sure enough 2ft up there was a pin hole in pipe.

I am glad my days of doing what you are doing are now gone. My bungalow has black ash blocks -everthing was covered in fine black dust.

Associate
Changed solenoid on my Triton seville shower.

Past 3 days had cut out when in use.

Googled and YouTube'd.

Checked resistance on the solenoid and seemed OK, however for £10 replacement was worth a try.

Hopefully this will fix it, that said only £70 for a new Seville.

Back
Top Bottom