What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Gave up at this stage -

I have a clear run now to...
* Channel the wall for socket/aerial/CAT6
* Extend the ring for 2 sockets in the external wall (will be insulated plasterboard)

I have some spare loft roll 170mm I'll chuck beneath the floor to keep the kitchen a fraction warmer.

Materials for summer house show up May 7th :eek:
Do the sockets have to be on external wall? I’d be careful, the backbox cut out is gonna be a solo cold spot on those walls now. If condensation is gonna form it will there, not good with electrics. I’ve deliberately not put sockets on external walls when using IPB.

If you’re gonna do it, don’t use metal back boxes at least. Use the plastic plasterboard ones.

I’m probably being over cautious. But if you google “socket backbox condensation insulated plasterboard”. There’s lots of people with issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do the sockets have to be on external wall? I’d be careful, the backbox cut out is gonna be a solo cold spot on those walls now. If condensation is gonna form it will there, not good with electrics. I’ve deliberately not put sockets on external walls when using IPB.

If you’re gonna do it, don’t use metal back boxes at least. Use the plastic plasterboard ones.

I’m probably being over cautious. But if you google “socket backbox condensation insulated plasterboard”. There’s lots of people with issues.
Yeah fair -- I did consider that the other day. I've got plasterboard boxes but will look to leave some insulation behind it to avoid as much as possible.

------------

Did a shift on the workshop. I need to just bin all my offcuts of wood. Stage 1 was kicking out the 22mm T&G floor... next is the billion random lengths.

The clothes/general household stuff is now finding its way into the loft, thank god!

I am considering whether to insulate this place and board it, but I'd probably need to raise the floor (or just throw down 100mm pir and overboard?):
iXW7ORg.jpg

"Garage end" much clearer now, ready for the summerhouse materials to start arriving (yippee).
KLw0wbh.jpg

The middle is a mix of old projects (I think I will give up on the hall furniture and just buy something, lol):
b8r8Vu5.jpg

Associate
Yeah fair -- I did consider that the other day. I've got plasterboard boxes but will look to leave some insulation behind it to avoid as much as possible.

------------

Did a shift on the workshop. I need to just bin all my offcuts of wood. Stage 1 was kicking out the 22mm T&G floor... next is the billion random lengths.

The clothes/general household stuff is now finding its way into the loft, thank god!

I am considering whether to insulate this place and board it, but I'd probably need to raise the floor (or just throw down 100mm pir and overboard?):
iXW7ORg.jpg

"Garage end" much clearer now, ready for the summerhouse materials to start arriving (yippee).
KLw0wbh.jpg

The middle is a mix of old projects (I think I will give up on the hall furniture and just buy something, lol):
b8r8Vu5.jpg
I cant see a Ducati in the Ducati parking space :D

Soldato
What dims is that? I'm wanting to upgrade my tiny shed! (I have no garage)...

Tempted to post a few queries on that oakwood garden rooms Facebook to put a big shed behind a large tree at the back of my long circa 40m (narrow ish 10m width) garden
The workshop is massive, it had planning and is on the site of the classic 1930s garages (morris minor side return width). Total dim is 13m x 2.93m with 3m pitched roof.

My garden isn't more than 10m wide - I'm comfortably fitting in a 6x3.5m with 2m gap behind rear and a meter either side.

Associate
Any grown ups bought steel before? I need a 3.4m box section. Getting £305 delivered from metals4u? Doesn't seem crazy but I have no idea lol.
Price of steel is really high at the moment. Can't say if that's high as it varies around the country and if you have an account etc but all building materials are increasing by the day

Soldato
Any grown ups bought steel before? I need a 3.4m box section. Getting £305 delivered from metals4u? Doesn't seem crazy but I have no idea lol.

Back in the day, we would always use Parker Steel.

They deliver to your location.

What is your intended use and thickness etc

Last edited:

FNG

FNG

Associate
What dims is that? I'm wanting to upgrade my tiny shed! (I have no garage)...

Tempted to post a few queries on that oakwood garden rooms Facebook to put a big shed behind a large tree at the back of my long circa 40m (narrow ish 10m width) garden

My garden is similar dimensions. I put a cabin at the end of mine, approx 6m wide so it sits 2 m from every boundary. This allows you to go to 4m pitched roof with no planning. I got mine built by local builders; it was cheaper than using oakwood and they would build it with a pitch roof on.

Soldato
Depends on the size and what the going rate for steel is.
160x80x5mm 3.4m
Bagless is fine if you can manage to not throw it down the stairs, which is when a bag becomes worth using :D
:mad:

Back in the day, we would always use Parker Steel.

They deliver to your location.

What is your intended use and thickness etc
Will x-check and just get it ordered at 300 then worst case. Cheers

Soldato
My garden is similar dimensions. I put a cabin at the end of mine, approx 6m wide so it sits 2 m from every boundary. This allows you to go to 4m pitched roof with no planning. I got mine built by local builders; it was cheaper than using oakwood and they would build it with a pitch roof on.
Do you mean cheaper than others building it or cheaper than building it yourself?

I think the regs is 2m from boundarys then you can get 3m height flat roofs also?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just go for planning if you want something proper. There are quite a few compromises with sticking within PD and avoiding building control (the boundary rule is about building control rather than planning IIRC). A garden your side Buffman you could probably go full annex...

Soldato
Just go for planning if you want something proper. There are quite a few compromises with sticking within PD and avoiding building control (the boundary rule is about building control rather than planning IIRC). A garden your side Buffman you could probably go full annex...
Zero interest in that or paying the council tax bill. My mrs says she hates garden rooms also so really it will just be a well specced shed :D

FNG

FNG

Associate

Planning is for height and/or size w.r.t boundary distance. Building control is w.r.t combustible materials if within a certain distance and/or over a certain size.

Back
Top Bottom