What monitors are you all using with your Series X?

Caporegime
Without local dimming, the brighter the monitor gets the more washed out it will look - the image will just move closer and closer to pure white. That's why almost everyone who buys one of these "HDR" monitors that dont have dimming turns the HDR on once and never again.

I remember seeing a post on AVForums with some guy who bought a TV for HDR support and he posted two screenshots of a film scene and was confused why the HDR mode looked a lot worse than without it, the problem essentially was that there was a light in the scene which in HDR mode caused the (edge-lit) backlights to ramp up to full luminance and all of the dark areas of the scene were turned into various shades of greys like what you get when you have terrible back light bleed, without HDR engaged the backlights weren't anywhere near as high so black levels were kept under control - okay the light in the scene wasn't as bright but overall the contrast was much better due to the good black levels.

I might be ranting and OP may not be interested in either HDR or even a TV (I would recommend it for consoles) but I thought I'd try to explain to anyone reading why on cheap displays HDR is bad and you're better off without it, when I first moved to 4K I was caught out by TV's advertising HDR but having really poor implementations because I just assumed a TV advertising HDR would do it properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I see, I've decided to stick with 27" 1440p 144hz and IPS so narrowing it down now

Just not sure which to get out of the Acer, LG and Dell

I prefer the look of the Dell but stock is poor, the other two seem pretty much in stock but I'm not in a rush because my desk hasn't arrived and the series X is difficult to get hold of anyway

Soldato
OP
I've still no made my mind up!

I'm wondering if its going 4K now so I've got the option of 4K\60 or 1440P\120 but no one has posted a 4K monitor so looks like its not a popular choice based on this thread I imagine thats going to to be down to the cost difference?

Man of Honour
Has anyone any hands on experience with the Samsung Odyssey G7 and Series X?

Currently have a 4K 28" monitor but thinking 4K is pretty pointless at this size.

The one I tried had a lot of backlight bleed, which is unfortunately unavoidable with edge lit curved displays.

It doesn't have FALD so you can forget about using HDR too, but I don't know of any gaming monitors that have IPS and FALD at the moment.

Associate
I prefer gaming on a monitor. I read some comments saying 4K isn’t worth it on 28” why is it? I have 4K 60hz Samsung monitor it’s about 3 years old and I love it. I can tell the difference in 4K etc it’s not hdr but picture is great still

I tried playing Mario 3D on 50” hd plasma weekend but after about an hour I just thought I can’t game on big screen I like to be close to monitor

Back
Top Bottom