What nail/nail gun for fitting scotia?

Soldato
Would rather nail than glue. Glue gets messy, doesn't grip instantly and struggles to follow uneven surfaces.

Should I get manual nails with small hammer, a manual brad nail gun, an electric brad nail gun or an air compressor brad nail gun?

Associate
i went for an electric nailer, but still glue stuff and use the nailer to fix thing in place whils the glue dries. Especiallyy on furniture as the glue makes a stronger joint.

Associate
I do it by hand and knock the nail in the last bit with a punch. Would hardly think it's worth investing in a nail gun unless you are doing it every day.

Soldato
i went for an electric nailer, but still glue stuff and use the nailer to fix thing in place whils the glue dries. Especiallyy on furniture as the glue makes a stronger joint.
Yea i forgot to add, a 2nd fix nailer is really only to hold stuff in place whilst the glue dries. It's unusual to be held on just nails alone.

I did it on a low traffic area of oak cladding at bottom on my stairs when putting in new spindles but I wouldn't do it for skirting

Soldato
Would rather nail than glue. Glue gets messy, doesn't grip instantly and struggles to follow uneven surfaces.

Should I get manual nails with small hammer, a manual brad nail gun, an electric brad nail gun or an air compressor brad nail gun?

How much scotia have you got to do? Even if you have a huge room of 10m x 10m, that's 40m of scotia. With pins every 30cm that's only ~120 pins, and given it only takes a few seconds to knock them in, you're talking 2 hours at most if you take 1 minute for each - not sure how much quicker it would be with a nailer - maybe knock 10-20 seconds off per pin?

I know we all love shiny new toys, but seems like overkill if it's a tool you're only going to use once :p

I do it by hand and knock the nail in the last bit with a punch. Would hardly think it's worth investing in a nail gun unless you are doing it every day.

Exactly what I've just done in our hallway, total cost ~ £2 for a bag of pins and £5 for a set of punches. Took me far longer to measure and cut than pinning it.

Soldato
Titan TTB517STP 240v nailer and stapler from Screwfix. £40 or £32 for a refurb.

I bought one to do the same thing as you and have used it for multiple things since. Was worth the £40 as far as I'm concerned.

Soldato
I'm waiting for a job where I can justify buying a Dewalt Nail Gun - probably the second fix one - but the prices are obscene. I would think even a long DIY session over a weekend, would still not warrant one for me.

Soldato

I bought one to do the same thing as you and have used it for multiple things since. Was worth the £40 as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen this and also nearly bit for a job I did. Looks a good shout.

Soldato
OP
This was poor advice.

Nightmare trying to hold those little pins, right down by the floor in a corner, whilst holding the beading in position, and trying to knock it in with the hammer. Impossible to not hit your thumb/fingers, or miss the nail completely and put a dent in the beading or skirting.

My beading is all dirty because of my hands all over it & residue off the nails.

Also now small holes to be filled all the way along where Ive knocked the nails under the surface.

Soldato
Needle nose plyers + a punch would have saved a bit of headache. With all the money saved from not buying a nail gun you can buy yourself some white spirit and spackle :D

Associate
Do you think a nail gun magically leaves a perfect finish that is unobtainable with a hammer and punch ? I have done about 7 rooms in my own house, 5 in a house I rent out and just recently 5 rooms in my mothers new bungalow, all by hand and a very good finish if I say so myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pin push and maybe a nail punch to finish off
I bought a Tacwise electric nailer for work and they are CRAP.you had to use a punch on every single nail.The `hammer`on this one is VERY weak i found :(

Soldato

£15 on ebay it seems

I had one of these and it was great, it accepted 32mm nails which i don't think it's initially advertising as doing. EDIT - Nope i had the smaller 25mm version, although it still took 32mm nails

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pin push and maybe a nail punch to finish off
I bought a Tacwise electric nailer for work and they are CRAP.you had to use a punch on every single nail.The `hammer`on this one is VERY weak i found :(

That's fine the issue is more about trying to make sure the hammer doesn't hit the beading or skirting. It is so tight to hammer within half an inch from the floor and skirting into a curved surface.

Then the punch slips off the nail head too, another dent.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's fine the issue is more about trying to make sure the hammer doesn't hit the beading or skirting. It is so tight to hammer within half an inch from the floor and skirting into a curved surface.

Then the punch slips off the nail head too, another dent.
Thats why i said use a pin push
You `can`hit the push with a hammer and sink the nail too.Could damage the tool after extended use though
:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom