what next...

Soldato
If money's tight, do NOT consider a Clio 16v. Yes, they're superb cars, great fun and handle like a dream but they're not cheap to look after. These days most examples have close to 120k or more on them, most of which will of been spent near the limiter. It will not be cheap to run unless you don't mind getting your hands dirty every weekend!

Soldato
OP
my best mate is a mechanic, so if things go wrong its not the end of the world, but I dont want them to. I want something nippy and reliable and not poo on fuel. dont need miricles but around 30-35 on a tank would be nice 1/2 town bit of backlane blast and a little motorway. Id love a 106GTI but presuming they drink fuel with the short gears.

Soldato
OP
New plan, a mate of mine (girl), has a 55 reg clio 1.2 16v which should be great on fuel and has alloys and stuff so isn't appauling, should see a nice cheque come in my direction from the insurance company. She wants to do a swap. I will take out/off some of my bits and sell seperately, and her clio is worth a bit more than a 1.6 focus 02 reg anyway. Then I can save all my money get this loan paid as much as possible. hopefull by this time next year, there will be only a few grand left and I can sell the clio and clear the debt. Then I'm free. Ther e will be no 17" tyre bills, no 30mpg and its brand new so is under warrenty, shouldent cost me anything.
The issue is its still under finance, does she have to pay it off with annother loan, or can she ring her finance company and swap her finance to my car? Obviously im not swapping unless its HPI clear.
Cheers for the ideas guys and hopefully this time next year I will be asking you what nice car I should buy. Hmmm elise........

Man of Honour
Xsara VTR is good but get the 1.8 16v not the 1.6 8v - the 1.6 8v is slow and has no kit. The VTR has the same kit level as the VTS except for ABS - so you get climate control, velour seats, rain sensing wipers, etc.

Soldato
The 1.6 8v is ok, missus has one and it does the job. It's not got any real power- you have to rev the nuts off it. Motorway cruising isn't amazing as it has to sit at high revs to maintain 75-85. Interior is fine, not exciting but comfortable. A VTS would probably the way for you to go.

Back
Top Bottom