• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What overclocks for 7950GT?

Associate
Just wondered what speeds people ran on these? I'm not going to start in on mine tonight, just ran the auto optimiser and it settled at 585/763 which seems rock solid... Not exactly earthshaking performance but none too shabby either. (3DMark06 scores absolutely scunnered by my low processor score, 5188, with 1386 CPU, 2263 SM2.0, 2287 HDR/SM3.0)

Associate
OP
Hah, no, tell a lie- just fired up ATITest and at the "optimised" setting it was throwing up constant artifacts :( Looked fine in action, mind. So I've dropped it to 568/750. That's not much up on the factory overclock at all...

Bummer :( it's still doing the job I bought it for perfectly well (Make games pretty, don't make Dell PSU explode into flames) but I'd thought I'd see a bit more than that. I gather the default clocks are 550/700?

Questions... The PSU's a bit marginal for this setup, I reckon- the manual instructs that the 2 additional power connectors should run from different connectors, in the event I've had to run it with a split off one... Would that make any difference, do we think? Impair the card at all?

Any point in volt modding the thing?

Associate
OP
wiggy said:
Hi

Depends what else you running on that rail with the splitter? What rating is the psu?

The PSU is a mighty 305W Dell OEM number... Hard to tell exactly what else is on that rail with Dell's convoluted plumbing, but all that's on the 4-pin wiring is a DVD-R and the 7950.

The instructions do specify it should come off 2 seperate power supply cable bundles... I'll be honest here, I don't fully understand the implications of the PSU rails etc. And by "fully understand" I mean "at all" :)

Cheers

Associate
Ouch, 305w! I installed a 9800pro in my mates dell with a splitter and it was fine but a 7950 runs on considerably more power about 190w i think, this means there is not much spare for the rest of your rig especially if your o/c cpu etc. I would recomend a more powerfull psu, 350w min.

Anyone else?

PC Power Consumption in Watts
GeForce 7900 GS 184
GeForce 7900 GT 189
GeForce 7950 GT 190
GeForce 7900 GS SLI 245
GeForce 7900 GT SLI 275

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yep, believe me it's days are numbered... But being Dell, can't easily replace just the PSU. The motherboard's mince as well, no o/c potential whatsoever and it refuses to run more than one RAM pair at anything but 400mhz.... But it'll be next month at least before I can spring for a new case, board, cooler and PSU. Longer, probably, since I want to do it right... Doing it cheap's already meant doing it twice, don't want to do it a third time in June...

PS, :( Though it was still a good buy at the time, that's not going to stop me griping.

Associate
OP
Yep, that's been thought of too... But they're reliable PSUs, and it's not flagging any underpower warnings on the card so all seems adequate, if not great, just now. Though I do appreciate the concern!

Back
Top Bottom