What power supply would you put in this build ?

Associate
From an aesthetic standpoint ?

m5U6HL3.jpg

I want at least 1200w platinum but beyond that I am struggling to decide, I dont plan to use more than 800w of power,
however I think the longer 1600w might look better due to scale, but it would add more weight

I was initially thinking of a pure black 1200w one, but the superflower one have a white fan and emits light
( I am doing lights but not sure I want them from the power supply where I dont have control over it )

any ideas ?

~~ The watercooling isnt supposed to be like that btw, I am having trouble getting the parts that I need

Associate
From an aesthetic standpoint ?

m5U6HL3.jpg

I want at least 1200w platinum but beyond that I am struggling to decide, I dont plan to use more than 800w of power,
however I think the longer 1600w might look better due to scale, but it would add more weight

I was initially thinking of a pure black 1200w one, but the superflower one have a white fan and emits light
( I am doing lights but not sure I want them from the power supply where I dont have control over it )

any ideas ?

~~ The watercooling isnt supposed to be like that btw, I am having trouble getting the parts that I need

What specs, cant just leave us to look at a picture and guess mate.
Also, why would you need 1200 nevermind 1600 for a single GPU? Thats just stupid?

Associate
I get what your trying to achieve but I would advise against a PSU this size for your build. Most psu's work best when at around 75-80% load.

In terms of aesthetics I build a lot of custom builds for various clients so I can offer some pointers. First of not sure what card you have but pcb looks out of place maybe think of getting a backplate on there.

I won't comment on water Cooling as you mentioned your waiting on parts. The psu really depends on the colour scheme your going for although in all honesty I would take a great performing psu over a great looking one anyway. If it spoils your looks add a psu shroud. Will make the build cleaner anyway and nearly all aesthetically pleasing builds are clean throughout.

Current specs would help though and a theme your trying to go for.

Associate
Hi, our G2/P2/T2 series PSU already have nearly full efficiency at arround 50% load. If you go for a semi passive unit the eco mode will kick in a little bit later if you go for a bigger unit but generally 1200+ would be overkill for that system. Sure you can go for it if you want to but please make sure you hit at least 50% load with the system if you go for one of our units. At the following link you can find our power meter, there you can enter the components you are using and it will tell you which of our units would fit that system. http://www.evga.com/power-meter/

Soldato
Aesthetics? In that case?

Change the case for one with a hidden PSU chamber then get whatever power supply you want. I can't help but feel that worrying about the looks of the PSU within that case is a bit like worrying about which cloth to polish a turd with.

Associate
Aesthetics? In that case?

Change the case for one with a hidden PSU chamber then get whatever power supply you want. I can't help but feel that worrying about the looks of the PSU within that case is a bit like worrying about which cloth to polish a turd with.

This has really made me chuckle...thanks for brightening my day...lol

Associate
OP
I am intending to put a second graphics card in eventually and the cpu is x99 so I believe it will end up drawing over 750 watts,
the current power supply that I have which I could use if neccesary is an AX 860, however I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing the limits of the power supply like that, hence looking at a 1200w model, also I am thinking a normal sized power supply is going to look overly small given the size of the case

In terms of aesthetics I want the reservoir to glow a bright blue colour
which will be contrasted by the red leds on the graphics cards and the board colour, then I am wanting to use a clear cpu block with a purple or pink coloured light. The previous system I made was a black / white theme hence trying to do different this time ( no white parts )

I might also use lights around the sides to make the hardware more visible, but it depends how it ends up looking with all the other lights

Associate
Not sure that you would be drawing more than 750 watts even then, but does depend on other hardware and what gpu's they will be.

As for aesthetics, you should stick to two colours imo, maybe max 3 colours if they are close in the spectrum. Contrasting colours is doable but is a very hard feat to pull off correctly.

I'm looking at the NZXT Hue+ controller for my next build which looks really interesting. You should check it out, maybe just the thing your after.

Associate
OP
I figured out how to mount my raystorm cpu block, allowing me to boot the system properly and try different lights

HNVsbrc.jpg
LnzwTtE.jpg

I think the white light for the res actually looks better so I might end up adjusting the colour combinations in the end, the blue might look better if less dark ( the camera changes the colours slightly ), havent figured out how to insert the LEDs into the cpu yet.

As you can see the AX860 power supply looks quite small compared to everything else and there is a lot of unused space

Can anybody spot my REALLY bad mistake that I need to go and fix now ?

Also as to the question - I just use the most powerful single cards I can get, if somebody makes one that uses 500w I would use that, most seem to cap out around 300 though

Associate
seriously guys, 1200 watts ???? what are you planning on doing ? so many people over spec PSU's I have a 4790k, GTX 980 and a custom waterloop etc. everything overclocked as far as i can go and even running furmark and prime 95 at the same time i can only draw 400 watts. if you actually measure what you "really draw" not what manufacturer say you need i think we will be very surprised.

Associate
The only one that mentions 1200w is the OP. We have asked for his spec but he still hasn't given it to us so nobody has actually recommended anything.

+1

Indeed there are people who do need the power of a 1200w PSU, if they didn't, they wouldn't exist, period. However, yes it is unlikely that one would need that amount of power. That said however, with your system drawing around 400w you actually need a PSU rated at 720w or higher. Just trust me on this figure as I really don't wan't to go too deep into electrical circuits, currents DC / AC etc. But basically in a nutshell there is a possibility he may need this power or maybe close to it. (It is highly unlikely of course. Which is what I think you were getting at.) Also if he were using AMD components and bigger pumps in his loop he could be drawing nearly double what you are with energy efficient GTX 980 & 4790k.

We simply need his full specifications to give him a good answer, until we get those, there is nobody here that can tell him what size PSU he would need.

Associate
OP
Its a 5820K at maximum overclock ( having trouble getting it stable though, never used XMP before ) with 2 fury x ( only have 1 so far ), they draw 300w each without overclock according to benchmark sites, if voltage get unlocked maybe 350w ? I heard X99 can draw 150w + add 100w for the rest of the system, that makes 950w theoretically

As I said its mainly the aesthetic factor that I wanted ideas around,
mainly full length without lights vs shorter 1200w with lights

My previous system was i5 4670K with 780Ti ( both heavily overclock ) with 2 radiators in a corsair 450d case,
with the AX 860 power supply, the main reason I changed case is that I thought the power supply would struggle
with a stronger cpu and another graphics card, but also because there was no space left in the case and it was
a jungle of cables

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom