What programming language do I need?

Associate
I am looking to develop a website that allows for the following..

A company can register their details and make an account on the website, which will then require manual approval by me before they can use the features.

Then, with their account they can either create a "service" with how much they are willing to pay another company, or accept somebodies "service".

It will need to be able to handle payment in some form, and further down the line work with a mobile app.

Any help/advise is appreciated.

Soldato
You need more than one really. You won't be doing this all in one language(at least I dont think you will).

Standard web languages for the websites itself HTML/CSS. You'll need something like PHP to get and set information from the database, which leads me to you'll need a database so some form of SQL would be useful to handle logins/lists of jobs and their states.

Payments would be easy to do via a gateway, depending on the processor they can utilise a variety of languages to do their thing.

Mobile apps wise you'll need Java (Android), objective C/Swift (iOS) C# (Windows) or look into creating a cross platform app via something like xamarin or a web app.

Associate
OP
You need more than one really. You won't be doing this all in one language(at least I dont think you will).

Standard web languages for the websites itself HTML/CSS. You'll need something like PHP to get and set information from the database, which leads me to you'll need a database so some form of SQL would be useful to handle logins/lists of jobs and their states.

Payments would be easy to do via a gateway, depending on the processor they can utilise a variety of languages to do their thing.

Mobile apps wise you'll need Java (Android), objective C/Swift (iOS) C# (Windows) or look into creating a cross platform app via something like xamarin or a web app.

Thanks for the tips. That's enough to get me started! :D

Man of Honour
I'm not really upto speed on this but there already exists back end systems (probably e-commerce) for the kind of thing you are talking about that you should be able to put into use with just some customisation and minimal if any programming involved.

I think Zen Cart was one of the big ones but I'm not really familiar with the area any more.

Soldato
Quite a lot of work creating a fully secure e-commerce site from scratch, need all the graphics as well as code, as said above need to use several languages such as HTML/CSS/php/asp/js and SQL.

Soldato
What payments are you handling?

If it's when they register and you approve their account (a paid membership type site). There's probably already plugins for wordpress that do this.

If it's when they pay for a service (a service broker type site). It'd be a little more complicated and you might need a combination of a few different plugins to get it working.

Soldato
If you're seriously looking at this... PHP, just cause its so widely used. Omnipay for payments side.

The site doesn't sound too complicated, albeit depends what the day one requirements are.

My tip would be keep it lean for initial model.

Back
Top Bottom