What RAM for 1950x Thread Ripper build, ECC?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Having used laptops for a long time, my last desktop build was Core2Duo era; there's far more scope to get spec'ing components wrong these days!

Currently looking at RAM.

From looking on the forum, I see https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-quad-channel-kit-black-my-094-tg.html come up

but then I see

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-quad-channel-kit-black-my-095-tg.html

which is slightly cheaper, CL16 vs CL14 but it's 3600MHz vs 3200MHz. Is it likely that the cheaper RAM will work at CL14 3200MHz?

B-die looks to be one of the most important things to get.

I want 32GB over 4 sticks so that I'm making use of quad channel, but should I be considering ECC RAM? This machine will be used for gaming, but also as a VM host for various work things. ECC is not something I've used before, it looks like it'll be slightly slower - but I wonder how often does the error correcting kick in.. does it really matter?

Motherboard will be Asrock X399 Taichi

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
I could probably get away without ECC, various VMs will be used for building software but I suspect it'll be resilient to memory corruption. My current build machines don't have ECC.

Why would you say the faster, but lower CAS RAM? Would that likely to do the stricter timing at lower speeds (and is a bit cheaper)? @8 Pack

Permabanned
I could probably get away without ECC, various VMs will be used for building software but I suspect it'll be resilient to memory corruption. My current build machines don't have ECC.

Why would you say the faster, but lower CAS RAM? Would that likely to do the stricter timing at lower speeds (and is a bit cheaper)? @8 Pack

For Ryzens memory frequency is more important than lower latencies.

Permabanned
Is it likely to run at 3600MHz in there though?

You have to try. In any case - it is the better buy - you will have a higher specced modules for lower price, and if it doesn't work at 3600, you will adjust it at whatever frequency and lower timings it will work at.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
I got the 3600MHz RAM in the end. I didn't expect it to work at 3600MHz, so slowly increased the speed and timings manually until it was at the 3600MHz and 16-16-16-36, then just switched to the XMP profile. Stress testing resulted in a lockup but my CPU was at 4.1GHz @ 1.35v. Knocked it back to defaults and am stress testing the memory at this speed and it seems *fine* so far. Once I know the limits of each, I'll find the balance :D

Man of Honour
Having used laptops for a long time, my last desktop build was Core2Duo era; there's far more scope to get spec'ing components wrong these days!

Currently looking at RAM.

From looking on the forum, I see https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-quad-channel-kit-black-my-094-tg.html come up

but then I see

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-quad-channel-kit-black-my-095-tg.html

which is slightly cheaper, CL16 vs CL14 but it's 3600MHz vs 3200MHz. Is it likely that the cheaper RAM will work at CL14 3200MHz?

B-die looks to be one of the most important things to get.

I want 32GB over 4 sticks so that I'm making use of quad channel, but should I be considering ECC RAM? This machine will be used for gaming, but also as a VM host for various work things. ECC is not something I've used before, it looks like it'll be slightly slower - but I wonder how often does the error correcting kick in.. does it really matter?

Motherboard will be Asrock X399 Taichi

Don't buy the Taichi if your looking at VMware usage:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/home-lab-threadripper-build-thread.18789497/

I have an epic thread of the issues with it here and I currently swap between two boards for when I have VMWare projects. In terms of ram id just go with what you can afford, 3200 will likely be achievable with 4 sticks but if you decide to go 64gb later and populate all the slots your likely only going to manage 2933 with a bit of tuning.

There really is no need for EEC in a TR build if your not running mission critical workloads.

(edit: my image hosts changed url without a redirect so im going through the thread correcting all the images but it will take me a while)

FWIW memory wise I run 64gb G-Skill 3466 Trident Z 8gb x8 sticks @ 2933

Edit: just re-read the whole thread, am guessing you have the taichi already, would be interested to know how you get on with ESXI.

Last edited:

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
It's all running at (4x8GiB) 3600Mhz C16, 1.35v and the CPU at 3.8GHz 1.2v atm - just stress testing it.

I'll take a look at your thread, but as I won't be running ESXi (will be bhyve or KVM) I'm hoping I won't hit similar issues!

Man of Honour
It's all running at (4x8GiB) 3600Mhz C16, 1.35v and the CPU at 3.8GHz 1.2v atm - just stress testing it.

I'll take a look at your thread, but as I won't be running ESXi (will be bhyve or KVM) I'm hoping I won't hit similar issues!

If your not running esxi then the taichi is an awesome board :)

Back
Top Bottom