What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Been putting together a quite unusual Pentium III Socket 370 Machine. Board is an ECS P6S5AT, which is a board based on a SiS635T chipset which interestingly supports DDR memory. I currently have it setup with 512 DDR 3200, Pentium III 850 Coppermine at 1.13ghz and a Geforce FX 5900XT. This board is know to actually have a 166fsb with correct dividers for AGP spec which if the chip can run would be 1.4ghz. Having fun playing about with it.

v9N67lRl.jpg

Associate
Nice, I've been meaning to have a look around for old PC parts to see if I could make some sort of retro-rig like that up without having to spend much money.

I found my old Corsair 2x 512MB XS3500 BH5 DDR1 ram that I used to run at crazy low timings, but not sure what else I still have lying around in boxes/drawers etc.

lQB0jpQ.jpg

I've been running a 2600k @ 4.8Ghz / Asus P8P67 Deluxe as my main PC since 2011, I'll be upgrading soon and will need to stash them away to use as a future retro build in 20 years or so, lol. :)

Man of Honour
Spent some time before and after the grand prix today making a brand spanking new Jamma wiring loom. Helping a friend out. He's supplied the connectors and the wiring diagram and I supplied my time and the wire. 2 player, 6 buttons per player. Custom lengths for a custom cab. Crimped then soldered spade connectors on the joystick and button ends too. Then spent a little while properly tying up the harness. Used some nice kevlar string for that.

Been a while since I've had to do any of that. Was nice to find out that I was only slightly rusty. And yes, I did use a board with some nails in it to do the wire layout. Properly high tech stuff. :D

Looking forward to seeing his custom cab next week. Got an 8 way Jamma switcher in it, so has 8 boards in it at the same time. Pretty sure at least one will be a multicade, but knowing him it'll have MKII, MKIII, various streetfighters and a killer instinct board. I suck at most of those... :D

Soldato
Spent ages yesterday removing eight ram chips from a Tatung Einstein and replacing with sockets (and some new chips).

ramsockets.jpg

Soldato
Nice, I've been meaning to have a look around for old PC parts to see if I could make some sort of retro-rig like that up without having to spend much money.

I found my old Corsair 2x 512MB XS3500 BH5 DDR1 ram that I used to run at crazy low timings, but not sure what else I still have lying around in boxes/drawers etc.

lQB0jpQ.jpg

I've been running a 2600k @ 4.8Ghz / Asus P8P67 Deluxe as my main PC since 2011, I'll be upgrading soon and will need to stash them away to use as a future retro build in 20 years or so, lol. :)
Best overclocking RAM of it’s time. 250mhz FSB with 2/2/2/5 timings!

Soldato
I bought a Gotek emulator for my Amiga. It arrived a week later, got it installed, except for the fact that the floppy cable isn't long enough and it doesn't want to read with a PC one (with a twist in it). The floppy power cable is fully stretched out too. I've now ordered two extended ones from an Amiga store on eBay specifically for people who replace the floppy drive with a Gotek. The Gotek is shorter.

So in the mean time I've put together a Windows 98 DOS PC primarily so I can play Doom 2. At the moment I am not sure if want to go with my Live! So that I have nice sounding General Midi, or if I want to put my AWE 32 in so when I inevitably get bored of Doom 2 and try other games I have decent FM synth music and Soundblaster sound.

I can also play Hogs of War and a bunch of Windows 95 games with this PC as it's got my Voodoo 3 in there for once!

Man of Honour
OP
Been putting together a quite unusual Pentium III Socket 370 Machine. Board is an ECS P6S5AT, which is a board based on a SiS635T chipset which interestingly supports DDR memory. I currently have it setup with 512 DDR 3200, Pentium III 850 Coppermine at 1.13ghz and a Geforce FX 5900XT. This board is know to actually have a 166fsb with correct dividers for AGP spec which if the chip can run would be 1.4ghz. Having fun playing about with it.

v9N67lRl.jpg

How is an ECS board still alive after this long? :D Expect you'd get better performance from Intel chipset but can't remember if they were still using RDRAM in this era of CPUs?

Caporegime
How is an ECS board still alive after this long? :D Expect you'd get better performance from Intel chipset but can't remember if they were still using RDRAM in this era of CPUs?
RAMBUS was very late socket 370 PIII, but offered almost no performance gain at all. Early P4 (socket 423) was where RAMBUS really became mainstream, but again many argued that the performance benefit was small (and certainly not worth the cost).

It was for this reason back in the day that I waited out 423 in favour of the DDR P4 Northwood on Socket 478.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I never went the RDRAM route but did know some that did - that stuff ran HOT! And expensive as you say :) Speed over latency.

Soldato
RAMBUS was very late socket 370 PIII, but offered almost no performance gain at all. Early P4 (socket 423) was where RAMBUS really became mainstream, but again many argued that the performance benefit was small (and certainly not worth the cost).

It was for this reason back in the day that I waited out 423 in favour of the DDR P4 Northwood on Socket 478.
I remember buying a stack of really cheap motherboards back in the day with a view to flip them as cheap systems. It was after they arrived I discovered the cost of those ram modules over normal ones :(

Soldato
Looking at buying a vintage motherboard and the seller has sent me this picture:

Looks like there is possibly some rust? The seller says there is no corrosion and is a very highly rated seller but I dont want to bite off more than I can chew with regards to repairing if its not working (being sold as untested)

It could also just need a really good clean, nothing the dishwasher cant sort :)

Soldato
Can you put motherboards in dishwashers?

Today I put a few bits up for sale. I am trying to decide whether I keep:

Slot 1 with a 440BX chipset - been rock solid but only supports P2 and Katmai P3. It's got a passively cooled 450MHz P3 in it paired with a Voodoo 3 2000 and is perfect for DOS gaming and those early 3D games. It has ISA slots but also works flawlessly with my SB Live for EAX sound thanks to the intel chipset. I could get a 600 / 700MHz CPU for it...

Slot 1 with a VIA chipset- It's got a Slocket and can handle Coppermine CPUs; currently got a 1GHz P3 in it. Much faster obviously and unlocks a whole range of other games, but it may have worse compatibility with my soundblaster Live for EAX gaming. It has ISA slots so is just as good for ISA DOS gaming. Will any games actually need the extra speed, that wouldn't work with a XP PC? I can also just drop my P2 in there and it should be very similar to the above PC...

Ahh decisions...

Last edited:
Caporegime

Slot 1 with a 440BX chipset - been rock solid but only supports P2 and Katmai P3. It's got a passively cooled 450MHz P3 in it paired with a Voodoo 3 2000 and is perfect for DOS gaming and those early 3D games. It has ISA slots but also works flawlessly with my SB Live for EAX sound thanks to the intel chipset. I could get a 600 / 700MHz CPU for it...

Slot 1 with a VIA chipset- It's got a Slocket and can handle Coppermine CPUs; currently got a 1GHz P3 in it. Much faster obviously and unlocks a whole range of other games, but it may have worse compatibility with my soundblaster Live for EAX gaming. It has ISA slots so is just as good for ISA DOS gaming. Will any games actually need the extra speed, that wouldn't work with a XP PC? I can also just drop my P2 in there and it should be very similar to the above PC...

Ahh decisions...

What's causing the compatibility with SECC2 coppermine on the 440BX? 440BX should run 100MHz Coppermine's just fine. Is there a newer BIOS for the board? Or are you basing the coppermine compatibility off the slocket and a 370 FCPGA?

If you can get a Coppermine working on the 440BX I'd keep that one for sure, VIA chipsets are hit and miss with the exception of the 133A/133T.

Soldato
I think it's a voltage thing. My voltage regulator can't go low enough for Coppermine CPUs - the Katmai CPUs are 2v whilst Coppermine drop down to 1.7v. I don't think I've tried this specific board with a coppermine, I just had no luck with my original project on a 440BX board.

I put the VIA up for sale as I won't ever have a need for a fast Pentium 3. It has a VIA Apollo Pro133. I can just spend £10 to get a reasonable fan for my 650MHz P3. If I need faster than I have P4s hanging around.

Also if anyone is interested, this FX5900 card might be worth a watch in case it ends up at a reasonable price!

Soldato

Ahh decisions...

I just got the PIII 700Mhz CPU for my Slot 1 BX440. It came with a PII 450Mhz, so nice wee jump!

Associate
I just managed to pick up a Socket 370 PIII 1ghz 100fsb chip for £15. Pretty fair price considering the 100fsb ones are kinda hard to come by. I have both Slot 1 and S370 variants now.

Man of Honour
Torn apart my old Xbox. It's case was pretty much crushed in a storage accident a couple of years back but it still worked. Good job I pulled the clock capacitor out a few years ago.

I've got an old Compaq Deskpro case that's got nothing in it, so I'm VERY tempted so mod it. :D Already ordered a IdE to SATA adaptor for it, it's been softmodded in the past so switching to a 120gb SSD shouldn't be too hard. 2 controller ports, remote control receiver built in. Add some quieter fans and jobs would be a good'un. Going to get a component to HDMI cable, shorten it and change it to a panel mount socket and then put it on the back, just tidy it up.

But, the OGX360 adaptor is an interesting prospect. Use wireless 360 pads on a original xbox... But I do like the original duke controllers.

Back
Top Bottom