What retro things have you done today?

Munt is a MT-32 emulator. MUNT emulates the MT-32 hardware utilising the original roms from an original MT-32 unit. Its not GM and is more suited to older games (Luscasarts and Sierra were big on MT-32 sound). For Duke 3D your better off sticking with a GM Soundfont.
I wouldn't class a soundfont as emulation. Its more of an approximation of what an original device sounds like.

Roland do have a Sound Canvas emulator (Sound Canvas VA) which is a VSTI plugin which I've read sounds very close to the SC Family. I'm sure its possible to get it work with DOSBOX

I think I have seen MT-32 on a couple of games ive played through SCUMM - point and click games from memory.

Thanks. Am i being blind, I dont see a download link to Sound Canvas VA. The soundfonts i linked too there are some which are based off the Sound Cancas VA.

Well, the P4 is pretty much setup. Only thing to sort is to install the A3D Vortex 2. The Audigy 2 and Awe64 gold are installed and working sweet. I picked up a copy of GTA III and just installed it. I love this game back in the day!

z3i2iHnh.jpg
Nice :)
What sort of price is good for an AWE64 Gold?
With emulations options for DOS games getting better and better, I might pass on a full desktop and ISA soundcard. Midi was the big setback… but then i found the virtual midi synth & soundfonts!

Well, the P4 is pretty much setup. Only thing to sort is to install the A3D Vortex 2. The Audigy 2 and Awe64 gold are installed and working sweet. I picked up a copy of GTA III and just installed it. I love this game back in the day!

z3i2iHnh.jpg
I remember how mad I was about that game. I obsessed over GTA 1/2 and was furious about the 3d attempt to the point of not even playing them until GTA5. I must be the only person who didnt like 3/4 :cry:

Is there (good) 3dfx emulation now? I've heard of MUNT, how does it differ to say using Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth and SC55 soundfont (or any soundfont like AWE32, GUS etc.)

For frontend im using LaunchBox. DOSBOX CRT looks cool, will try that :)

Still tempted to pick up a Win98 machine and something like an AWE64 gold... I havent as yet. The emulation options for MIDI are fantastic so might just be a waste of money to play games like Duke Nukem 3D
I think 3dfx emulation is very good now, most of the latest DOSBOX variants now support it and there are even special versions of DOSBOX specially created for games like EF2000. Not every game supports Roland MT-32, but for those that do I would say it definitely sounds the best when it comes to midi music, and if you have a soundcard that supports soundfonts like a Creative labs X-FI then the music in some games can sound even better. I've tried a few games that support GUS and it definitely sounds slightly better than SB16/awe32, but not as good as Roland MT-32. I haven't really tested Virtualsynth sufficiently enough yet to give an honest verdict on how it compares to other sound emulation.

EF2000 Reloaded

DOSBOX X Now also supports PC-98 games.

DOSBOX Staging

DOXBOX SVN 3dfx Support

DOXBOX ECE Community Edition

DOXBOX CRT With CRT Shader

DOSBOX Pure for Retroarch

MUNT - Roland-MT32 Emulation

DBGL - Best DOXBOX Frontend - Highly Recommend

Latest DBGL Beta Versions are available on VOGONS.
VOGONS Forum - DBGL Help

mainwindow.webp

Last edited:
I think 3dfx emulation is very good now, most of the latest DOSBOX variants now support it and there are even special versions of DOSBOX specially created for games like EF2000. Not every game supports Roland MT-32, but for those that do I would say it definitely sounds the best when it comes to midi music, and if you have a soundcard that supports soundfonts like a Creative labs X-FI then the music in some games can sound even better. I've tried a few games that support GUS and it definitely sounds slightly better than SB16/awe32, but not as good as Roland MT-32. I haven't really tested Virtualsynth sufficiently enough yet to give an honest verdict on how it compares to other sound emulation.

EF2000 Reloaded

DOSBOX X Now also supports PC-98 games.

DOSBOX Staging

DOXBOX SVN 3dfx Support

DOXBOX ECE Community Edition

DOXBOX CRT With CRT Shader

DOSBOX Pure for Retroarch

MUNT - Roland-MT32 Emulation

DBGL - Best DOXBOX Frontend - Highly Recommend

Latest DBGL Beta Versions are available on VOGONS.
VOGONS Forum - DBGL Help

mainwindow.webp
Lots of great info here :)
For me however its's a fine line of setting up the emulation and playing the games. I went away from emulation years back due to finding I was messing with settings more than playing the games.
Bought the hardware (Amiga and PC) and used it quite a bit but it took up space and was limited by the hardware.

Emulation wise I have a similar experience to this with 3DFX. Crashes and glitches emulating

When I tried installing DOSBox-X 2022-09.0, I used this guide https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/
Created 'dosbox-x -conf win98.conf'
I then entered 'dosbox-x -conf win98.conf' in the command line and was presented with 'Bad command or filename - "dosbox-x"

Dosbox svn I remember trying a few years ago and it was quite poor for 3dfx emulation - went to hardware machine with a Voodoo 3 (and P3, Soundblaster 16 ISA)

This is a fantastic video. DOSbox games launcher all packaged up with a few demos and MT-32 and a general midi soundfont

Link to the install page;

From here its easy to modify and have just installed Transport Tycoon and set it to use MT-32 - sounds fantastic!

If there is a way to install Windows 98 and run a 3dfx game properly, like Need for Speed 2 SE i'm all ears. I have yet to see a 3dfx games emulated that runs well without glitches, texture problems or crashes

Last edited:
Loving the guides and tips posted recently! The sharing of links and useful resources is well helpful. :)

Its been years since I last ventured into my parents attic!

7x8GDiD.png

I owned a CH Flight Stick Wheel that lacked force feedback, it was a wheel connected to a piece of plywood that sat under your CRT monitor. Built like a tank and unbelievably awkward if you weren't gaming; as you literally had this wheel sticking out in front of you when you tried to use your PC!

Anyway, I sampled my mates Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel and was blown away how good it was with Colin McRae rally and other sims. I was a student at the time so couldn't stump up the cash for an MS wheel so purchased this unknown AVB Force Feedback Wheel. To be fair, I do recall it had very good reviews and 'borrowed' tech from the leading brands at the time. In the booklet the receipt states I purchased 30 May 2001 for £60.00 from PC World!

This is super timely, as I have been itching for a wheel that is compatible with 98/XP since Grand Prix Legends is completely unplayable. Now just need to hunt down the drivers! :eek:

Another item I thought had been skipped, 250 Zip drive. Purchased circa 1999 for Uni:

Ewn59p8.png

Zip was the preferred choice for my lecturers. I have some disks stashed away, so now on the hunt to test if it still works! The rubber stand that allows you to place vertically is long gone. I remember at the time thinking it looked quite cool but totally out of sorts with a beige PC! Definitely one for the iMac owners of the time! The power lead has the most spindly and longest ever.

Finally some Logitech X460 4.1 speakers (didn't take a pic) I left these behind as I still have nightmares about the cabling:

TkAHzdH.jpg

Last edited:
More upgrades to my socket 7 PC today :)

Nice. How much was the SW60XG board? I find it hard to justify the real hardware cost of boards like this over emulation - one if the reasons for most sticking with dosbox and virtual midi

Last edited:
Nice. How much was the SW60XG board? I find it hard to justify the real hardware cost of boards like this over emulation - one if the reasons for most sticking with dosbox and virtual midi
£38 from ebay :)

Great system dude. Its been fun to see the progression of it. The SW60XG is the icing on the cake :)
Cheers mate. Been fun to build and learned a lot about filming and editing while doing it. Especially with the audio.

Cheers mate. Been fun to build and learned a lot about filming and editing while doing it. Especially with the audio.

Do you know what I think would be a good final upgrade for this Machine..? A Riva 128. I think it would round the machine off really well since you upgraded to the K6-2. I noticed also you have a card on display when adding the SW60XG. Is that a Creative TNT2 M64? If it is, why are you not using it in the machine? It has great DOS performance and would provide stronger 3D capability for the Win 9X games :-)

Do you know what I think would be a good final upgrade for this Machine..? A Riva 128. I think it would round the machine off really well since you upgraded to the K6-2. I noticed also you have a card on display when adding the SW60XG. Is that a Creative TNT2 M64? If it is, why are you not using it in the machine? It has great DOS performance and would provide stronger 3D capability for the Win 9X games :)
It is indeed! It was intended as a little joke as I say that there is definitely no more upgrades planned, was seeing if anyone could spot it :P
I think bumping the ram to 64mb/128mb and adding that gpu would be the final touch.

Last night I got annoyed with DOSBox-X-Pure, the Windows and 3dfx support was terrible. Laggy, crashes and just bad. Even trying to close dxdiag crashes the emulator.

I installed Windows 95 with a Voodoo 2 on PCem v17 using this guide - https://olistutorials.wordpress.com/2017/02/25/setting-up-pcem-for-windows-95-games/

Finally, a fully working OS with 3dfx support!
No crashes as yet and plays everything I have thrown at it. Need for Speed 2 SE working fantastic on an emulated socket 7, 128MB RAM, AWE32 and Pentium 200 MMX.

Games I've tested that work perfectly so far;

Doom
Doom 2
Hi-Octane
Forsaken (glide)
Quake 2 (glide)
Duke nukem 3d
Need for speed 2 SE (glide)
Skyroads
Unreal (glide)
Terminal velocity
Transport Tycoon
Ultimate race pro (glide)
Motoracer
Pro pinball big race USA

The whole PCem interface is really easy to use, you even have a boot up, can access BIOS, load CDs from local machine. I connected an external drive to install Hi-octane from the original CD. All worked and was easy to install

I might create a youtube of a couple of 3dfx games running on it

Last edited:
Got a tatty old case from fleabay, gave it a good clean, stuck out in the sun for 3 days, think its lightened it up a bit. had to 3d print a bracket for the card reader as the drive cage was missing. just waiting for a case badge to come from the US

PC is i5 8500, Quadro P400, 16gb DDR4 windows 11 Pro.

rnkeXhb.jpg
qz3EK2l.jpg
WgrbOzK.jpg
eTZ1BkB.jpg
EVHKx2l.jpg

Got a tatty old case from fleabay, gave it a good clean, stuck out in the sun for 3 days, think its lightened it up a bit. had to 3d print a bracket for the card reader as the drive cage was missing. just waiting for a case badge to come from the US

PC is i5 8500, Quadro P400, 16gb DDR4 windows 11 Pro.

rnkeXhb.jpg
qz3EK2l.jpg
WgrbOzK.jpg
eTZ1BkB.jpg
EVHKx2l.jpg
Great cleanup, but what happened to the Evesham badge?? :(

Back
Top Bottom