What retro things have you done today?

Today.....mostly been looking at 775 heatsinks, no idea what to go for! Needs to be era correct. Bit of me wants another freezer 7 pro rev.2. remember that being a cracking cooler.

The cooler on there at the moment is not up to it and I desperately want to see how far I can push it.

I managed to locate my old Hanns-G 19" 1440x900 wide-screen that I gave away to work years back collecting dust at the back of a cupboard....REUNITED! This was my panel at the end of my 939 years into C2D so really chuffed to have it back to pair with Project SLI :)

Also turns out the P5N-E SLI will take 8GB RAM in 4x2GB format. so its time to locate some well priced shiny ones :). Got my eye out for HyperX blue modules

Last edited:
Today.....mostly been looking at 775 heatsinks, no idea what to go for! Needs to be era correct. Bit of me wants another freezer 7 pro rev.2. remember that being a cracking cooler.
I always wanted, but never quite bought, one of the big Zalmans. Like a CNPS9500 or similar.

Had a CNPS3000 (if I remember the product code correctly) on my athlon xp, though.

Last edited:
I always wanted, but never quite bought, one of the big Zalmans. Like a CNPS9500 or similar.

Had a CNPS3000 (if I remember the product code correctly) on my athlon xp, though.
They were cool! The Zalman's were the one's back then!

The dream is an Asus Star Ice as i think I have cranked on about before lol. Friend had one years ago on his C2D system and he found...and binned! it during a COVID furlough clear out and forgot to ask me if i wanted it :(

Last edited:

The cooler on there at the moment is not up to it and I desperately want to see how far I can push it.

I managed to locate my old Hanns-G 19" 1440x900 wide-screen that I gave away to work years back collecting dust at the back of a cupboard....REUNITED! This was my panel at the end of my 939 years into C2D so really chuffed to have it back to pair with Project SLI :)

Also turns out the P5N-E SLI will take 8GB RAM in 4x2GB format. so its time to locate some well priced shiny ones :). Got my eye out for HyperX blue modules
I use a freezer pro on my Q6600. That cooler is probably the oldest piece of hardware I own that I purchased originally in its day. Still going great.
Last night I attempted to desolder the ATX power connector to move it along. My Iron actually had no trouble melting all the solder after I added some fresh to it as well. But my solder sucker has broken and braid alone was not enough to clear all the holes before I got frustrated. Ordered a better one now that is very well reviewed so will try again when it arrives.

As discovered on vogons. Dell got intel to move the power connector and add the auxillary one for 3.3v. But other OEMS had the connector fitted along the other edge with no need for the aux one and work with standard ATX pinout.

They were cool! The Zalman's were the one's back then!

The dream is an Asus Star Ice as i think I have cranked on about before lol. Friend had one years ago on his C2D system and he found...and binned! it during a COVID furlough clear out and forgot to ask me if i wanted it :(
I've got one for my collection, bought it with a unit that had a socket 939 in it. It's a nice piece of kit, I couldn't let my self give it to somebody else.
There was someone from France asking about it on the FB Retro group page, I told him that I will let him know if I see one. But I would prefer to share it here on the group or send a message to you directly if I'll ever see one.
@phatboy I've got 3 Thermalright Ultra 120s if you are looking for a period correct heatsink. Those are very good, I'm sure it has the 775 mounting bracket too, plus a fan. I'm using one on my 5950X and they work very well, really amazed by an almost 20 year heatsink.

Last edited:
I've got one for my collection, bought it with a unit that had a socket 939 in it. It's a nice piece of kit, I couldn't let my self give it to somebody else.
There was someone from France asking about it on the FB Retro group page, I told him that I will let him know if I see one. But I would prefer to share it here on the group or send a message to you directly if I'll ever see one.
@phatboy I've got 3 Thermalright Ultra 120s if you are looking for a period correct heatsink. Those are very good, I'm sure it has the 775 mounting bracket too, plus a fan. I'm using one on my 5950X and they work very well, really amazed by an almost 20 year heatsink.

Oh man they were so awesome! And now so rare to find in the wild. I really appreciate you offering to keep an eye for one :)

That tub is a place pure joy!!! That an asus silent knight in there too?

If one of the Thermalright 120s was to be available that would defo fit the bill and be much better than the little akasa currently holding the fort lol :) thank you

Last edited:
Oh man they were so awesome! And now so rare to find in the wild. I really appreciate you offering to keep an eye for one :)

That tub is a place pure joy!!! That an asus silent knight in there too?

If one of the Thermalright 120s was to be available that would defo fit the bill and be much better than the little akasa currently holding the fort lol :) thank you
To be honest, it's been a few years since I got it, I haven't see one since :(
Yes, it's the ASUS Silent Knight. I got another one at home, I don't have a purpose for it, if you're interested you can have it as well. I need to check for the mounting kit, not sure if it has one. I usually don't care about the mounting kits if it's purely for my collection. I think though that is not the full copper version.
I checked last night and I have all the bits required for the Thermalright heatsink, plus the fan clips and fan. Send me a PM if you're interested in them. :)

Friend at work walked into the office at work today stating "he had a surprise for me" lol.

10 minutes later walks back in with a fully boxed "XION XON-101" Pc Case with an AM3 board and FX Chip in it......The case is so late 90's it hurts!

Last edited:

I still have a Star Ice cooler. However, when it was in use I found the default fan so loud I ended up dismantling it and using the bare heatpipe cooler with two 80mm fans on push pull with it. I still have the fan in my fan bag (a Morrisons carrier bag full of various fans bits), but the blue shroud could be anywhere. I still have the cooler in my still yet to be finished 2000's XP retro system, a Socket 939 AMD64 3200+ with a 6800Ultra.

To be honest, it's been a few years since I got it, I haven't see one since :(
Yes, it's the ASUS Silent Knight. I got another one at home, I don't have a purpose for it, if you're interested you can have it as well. I need to check for the mounting kit, not sure if it has one. I usually don't care about the mounting kits if it's purely for my collection. I think though that is not the full copper version.
I checked last night and I have all the bits required for the Thermalright heatsink, plus the fan clips and fan. Send me a PM if you're interested in them. :)
That's very kind, let me know if I can give you anything towards shipping :)

Saves me having to trawl eBay, had some bad luck with broken stuff arriving :(

I still have a Star Ice cooler. However, when it was in use I found the default fan so loud I ended up dismantling it and using the bare heatpipe cooler with two 80mm fans on push pull with it. I still have the fan in my fan bag (a Morrisons carrier bag full of various fans bits), but the blue shroud could be anywhere. I still have the cooler in my still yet to be finished 2000's XP retro system, a Socket 939 AMD64 3200+ with a 6800Ultra.
6800 ultra......that is the stuff right there!

Friend at work walked into the office at work today stating "he had a suprise for me" lol.

10 minutes later walks back in with a fully boxed "XION XON-101" Pc Case with an AM3 board and FX Chip in it......The case is so late 90's it hurts!
So with this case being so ridiculously 90s.....the decision is now, do I go ahead and build a socket 478 box now too?

Special obscure place in my heart for the P4 Northwood. I completely rebuilt my dad's old dell dimension 4200 I think it for him years back with an asrock board, big cooler, quadruple the RAM the original had and an FX5600.

Oh man.....now I want to build into one of them them cases too :p

Guess I could go 939 in the Xion :p

Last edited:
Someone wants it? 60£ if it works it's a really good price. I already have a few of them.

What do you think this is...

And what are the chances of it working as I found it in a muddy puddle
PXL-20220827-101243766.jpg

Obviously a late card as it has a bridge chip and needs a molex power connector. But otherwise I've never seen one like it!
Did you manage to test it out? :)

A nice wash and possible cap replacement could bring it back to life, Unless the GPU is dead then its game over.

Back
Top Bottom