What software for cataloguing CD collection onto Computer?

Soldato
I wish to retain as much audible quality as possible without the use of .wav for size reasons.

I have LOTS of discs so the process needs to be as automated as possible while generating correct folder/file names and importing as much album art as possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Soldato
I convert all mine to FLAC, then use Foobar2000 to play it. Foobar also will convert to FLAC for you if you like. All the album art and track names work fine as well.

The biggest PITA is having to swap CDs. :p

Soldato
I've used Exact Audio Copy to convert my collection to FLAC and with cue files to enable me to burn it back to disc if needed (tried and tested) but I wasn't interested in album art as that can be gathered elsewhere anyway.

I used the guide from this link :

http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup1.html

I set this up, having some 1k cd's to rip I quit and just ripped to lossless .wav using media player after the first disc took some two hours to rip.

Soldato
hehe, i always hate these overly convoluted EAC guides. just run the wizard on the first run, select flac and the "speed is more important" option. this rips in burst mode and is much faster. you still get to verify your rips against others online using the built in accuraterip support.

i really would not use windows media player. the whole point of using lossless is to create a bit perfect representation of the audio on your CD and WMP simply is not capable of this.

i use foobar2000 myself as that also has accuraterip support. other alternatives are dbpoweramp (not free) or cuetools.

Last edited:
Associate
I set this up, having some 1k cd's to rip I quit and just ripped to lossless .wav using media player after the first disc took some two hours to rip.

Well I only had about 500 to rip but it did take me about 3 months to get it all done. But I wanted to (hopefully) make sure I never had to do it again so thought it was worth it.

Associate
I use dbpoweramp these days. http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

EAC had some issue with my DVD drive that meant ripping a single CD took about 30-40 minutes so it was no go. dbpoweramp works great though for whatever reason.

Does album art, tracklist naming and all the stuff you'd expect, plus has quite a lot of plugins you can add for extra functionality.

Comes with a pretty cool conversion application that can do multi processor encoding which I use to convert flac to vorbis for use on my phone :)

Think it's only a 30 day trial before you lose the ability to do the multiprocessor encoding and the secure ripping, so you might get full use out of it if you can get everything done before the trial runs out. Ended up buying it myself :)

Associate
EAC had some issue with my DVD drive that meant ripping a single CD took about 30-40 minutes so it was no go. dbpoweramp works great though for whatever reason.

I had a similar problem - for some disks, EAC would significantly drop the drive speed (usually after the first track) and take ages to rip the disk. I found that ticking the 'Spin up drive before extraction' option in EAC -> Drive Options -> Drive stopped this, and made rips much more consistent. YMMV.

Soldato
Trouble I have is foobar media monkey don't get track names for 30% of my music only thing that works is iTunes so I have to rip on my Mac using lose less aac then convert to flax

Any ways to use iTunes dB with foobar?

Back
Top Bottom