• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What thermal compound?

Associate
Hi I have been out of the loop for a few years and now need to split an old cooler from a cpu and wondered what you are all using atm ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
IC Diamond is all i use now, In my experience it out performs MX-4 it's also incredibly reliable, I have computers over 5 years old using same first paste application. IC Diamond is very good on servers or anything where reliability is important.

Associate
OP
many thanks for all the help, just ordered a new tube of AS5 as I’m used to AS stuff and it’s for a basic desktop so nothing gaming/strenuous

Associate
Been using AS5 for years and never had a problem and never had to re seat a CPU due to degradation of the compound. Just recently changed my i5 3570k which has been under the heatsink for 6 years and looked absolutely fine.

Soldato
I've found thermal grizzly gives a couple of degrees better temps compared to as5 however as5 is much easier to apply and would be a better choice for normal use.

I can recommend thermal grizzly on gpu core for noticeable gains in temp though. Anything from 3-8c which in turn reduces fan noise/gives better boost clocks sustained.

Soldato
IC Diamond is all i use now, In my experience it out performs MX-4 it's also incredibly reliable, I have computers over 5 years old using same first paste application. IC Diamond is very good on servers or anything where reliability is important.

Do you remember when they gave IC diamond away for free on this forum? I had 2 different types. Both worked well but then the next time I came to use it both tubes had dried up. So I wouldn't buy it.

AS5 has always been fine for me.

Soldato
Used AS5 for years, switched to MX-4 a while back simply because there was no AS5 in stock, no perceptible difference. Never got the chance to use the Gelid Extreme that came with my EK Supremacy block as that went on other builds.

May pick up something else for my GPU though when I come to put them under water.

Soldato
I'll be using them when they become available in the UK , set and forget.

My thought too. Good for tinkerers and for those wanting to do it once and forget about it. Being reuseable could be handy for places like OCUK who do a lot of testing. Quick repeatable and cheap per use.

Back
Top Bottom