What to do to get a track car?

Soldato
Me and a good mate fancy getting a track car to take up to knockhill for a blast about every so often. Fancy something like a Mk2 golf,old clio or a very old bmw for RWD action.

Excluding tyres,petrol,parts and transport costs what else do we need to be able to drive on the track? I imagine our insurance is void for track use so do we need some sort of track insurance incase we stack it and get a lawsuit against us? I assume anybody driving it on the track needs a drivers license(one mate doesn't drive and claims he would be able to but i disagree) and would the car need to be road legal with an MOT and tax(a must if we plan on driving it up to the track).

Sorry about the rambling but we are seriously considering it but don't want to end up wasting loads of money and breaking laws left right and centre.

Associate
You need

bring valid driving license
bring your own helmet you will recoup the cost after a couple of TD, the hire ones are old and smelly
a car which is in good road going condition , no leaking fluids, no loose objects. Tax and MOT if using public roads, trailer it otherwise
working mirrors
responsible attitude and ettiquette to other drivers
obey the marshalls, be aware of following cars and blue flags
find your own quiet piece of track to enjoy yourself, not race others.
ideally know how to replace your brake pads, and inspect them prior to event
check oil level before, high speed corners can starve bearings of oil very quickly
wheel nut wrench, tyre pressure guage
make sure you do your warm up and cool down laps, and don't put your handbrake on after you come in, or you will deposit pad material on the disk, use wheel chocks

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You need

bring valid driving license - check for two of us
bring your own helmet you will recoup the cost after a couple of TD, the hire ones are old and smelly- Noted,forgot the helmet part.
a car which is in good road going condition , no leaking fluids, no loose objects. Tax and MOT if using public roads, trailer it otherwise - Wont be a problem regarding road worthyness.
working mirrors - see above
responsible attitude and ettiquette to other drivers - This is where the one without a licesnse fails aswell
obey the marshalls, be aware of following cars and blue flags - We all like motorsport and understand this.
find your own quiet piece of track to enjoy yourself, not race others.
ideally know how to replace your brake pads, and inspect them prior to event - Replaced disks and pads a few times now so i'm cool with that.
check oil level before, high speed corners can starve bearings of oil very quickly - Just like paradigm!
wheel nut wrench, tyre pressure guage - Easy enough to come by working part time in halfords.
make sure you do your warm up and cool down laps, and don't put your handbrake on after you come in, or you will deposit pad material on the disk, use wheel chocks

Now to find a decent enough car to start on...

Caporegime
some track days ive been to have also stipulated long sleved tops and trousers. No shorts or short sleves. Basically wear trousers and a tshirt and take a thin jacket/long sleved top incase they require it.

Soldato
Seems to be a common choice amongst starting trackdayers wanting to make a trackday car, but MK1 MR2? Can be had for ~£!k-ish and from the work Vix (I believe it was?) was doing on her trackday car, it just seemed like an ideal car for a project :)

Soldato
OP
An old MR2 would be good due to the engine being solid and being RWD. I guess it would make us learn the hard way! We were thinking E30 or E36 318/320 but they are far too expensive just for a mess about.

Soldato
I'm half tempted to try for a trackday car, just for an excuse to get an MK1 MR2 hehe :D

But may as well go have a look at that, for a grand it doesn't look bad, just the usual arch rust.

Soldato
OP
Fund don't permit at the moment though. Trying to get a cheap car on the road for myself as i passed in January and still don't have a car!

When you pay the fee of say £50 does that give you unlimited sessions for the one day?

Soldato
Don't want to sound like a broken record, but you should get an EG6 Civic SiR. There are loads of these already track prepped available for peanuts.

Eg...
0150080704F400457800300.jpg

0705153A20080425C00105.jpg

0705153A20080425C00107.jpg

That car is available for about 3k shipped and OTR. Bargain for one which is already stipped, caged, bucket seated, track suspension setup, and BuddyClub wheels wrapped in semi-slicks. Plus you get 170hp@7800rpm of VTEC y0 greatness.

Soldato
Seems to be a common choice amongst starting trackdayers wanting to make a trackday car, but MK1 MR2? Can be had for ~£!k-ish and from the work Vix (I believe it was?) was doing on her trackday car, it just seemed like an ideal car for a project :)

I do all the work on the car. Vix is just my press officer, secretary, cook, cleaner and provider of 'personal services' ;)

I do let her drive the car though :p

If you want to do it properly with minimum prep work I know of an MR2 challenge car for sale as well.

Last edited:

Vix

Vix

Associate
I do all the work on the car. Vix is just my press officer, secretary, cook, cleaner and provider of 'personal services' ;)

If you want to do it properly with minimum prep work I know of an MR2 challenge car for sale as well.

I hold spanners, pass you things and take the odd bolt off for you too :p

Soldato
OP
:(

It's fixed now though, and I have a spare engine :p

Twink engined leon ftw?

We checked out a tracked out golf gti on ebay but he wanted 3k plus for it. I think we will start with a standard car and just strip it out,overhaul the brakes and give it a service before getting bucket seats,a cage and upgrated shocks etc.

I fancy one where i can just bolt on bigger,better suff from the faster version to save hassle.

Soldato

Oops :D

Well, you're a good team! ;)

Back
Top Bottom