What to do??

Associate
Hi all, so, historically I've practiced Judo and Karate, put a good few years into those and now i'm sitting on the waiting list to have my hips replaced lol....so no more being thrown about for me! Been warned that the ceramic hip I'm having could crack if I take a hard landing, now i'm a big guy, I land hard so all that jazz is off the cards for me sadly.

Once this lockdown stuff is behind us finally I need to shift the corona gut....not really corona to blame, more my love of food.. but anyway... I need to do something again. My issue is I'll miss combat sport, everything else seems a bit dull. I mean i'm not really too interested in being in a gym with a load of guys more interested in updating their "insta" whilst posing with weights. Which round this area is all people seem to do in the gym.

I was swimming a fair amount before lockdown and definitely one to consider going forward. But wondered if you lovely lot had any other suggestions. I'm not looking to be "hench" or any of that, just a bit healthier, and something active as the day job sees me sitting at my desk all day, my other hobbies of piano and darts aren't exactly strenuous either!!

I had though about boxing, I'd been doing it a bit before as I wanted to improve full contact abilities and the local club is decent but again, would be worried about the ol' hip..

Man of Honour
The best way the lose weight or whatever is to do the thing you enjoy and can stick to.

If you want to do combat sports then do those... I don't know anybody who has ever complained about being stronger from going to the gym, or fitter from cycling (running winds up with complaints about knees and shin splints), but if you're not interested in those then you won't stick at them.

I would suggest heading to the gym and hitting Stronglifts when you can and - obviously - not bothering with Instagram. Or buy a punch bag for home.

APW

APW

Associate
If you enjoyed judo/karate boxing definitely top of the list for fitness for you, as far as cardio(burning calories go) it's one of the best things on planet and should keep your hips and supporting muscles strong (a lot of rotation/core used) without the risk of being thrown and cracking anything.

Otherwise pick anything you like, as said above, best way to lose weight and get in shape is to simply move more and the best way to do that is do something you enjoy and can stick to. Even walking, seriously just go for a walk :).

Back
Top Bottom