What to replace a hedge with?

Associate
So we purchased a refurbishment project house last year, and whilst the inside is getting there, the garden is an absolute jungle of overgrown hedges etc. There is a 40m run of hedging, bits of fence and gaps between us and the neighbours house. It's full of a mix of all sorts (mostly brambles) and hasn't been maintained well for many years. The house has other hedges too and so I really want to remove this hedge (our boundary) as it's awful, the neighbours are also quite old and struggle to maintain their side. I've been thinking about a good quality fence down the run as it will be a lot less maintenance, but obviously not as pleasant to look at, but maybe a double slatted fence or something a bit classier might help with that. I'm struggling for other ideas, so thought i'd reach out to see what others have done. We'd be growing and landscaping the garden in front of the fence, but leaving a gap at the back of borders for ease of maintenance.

Soldato
I like a hedge something nice about a green boarder, it it isn’t hideous conifers then you should be able to butcher it right back and have it regrow a more manageable size! If it is conifers then get rid quick!

If you decide to go fencing you have loads of options from the classic wooden post and panel through modern composite post and panel and then the more trendy slatted look. Depends if you want a modern or traditional style!

Associate
OP
I like a hedge something nice about a green boarder, it it isn’t hideous conifers then you should be able to butcher it right back and have it regrow a more manageable size! If it is conifers then get rid quick!

If you decide to go fencing you have loads of options from the classic wooden post and panel through modern composite post and panel and then the more trendy slatted look. Depends if you want a modern or traditional style!
Yeah I like a hedge too, it's just going to be too much as I have some medical issues, and don't want to be paying a gardner twice a year to deal with it. I'll hopefully be able to maintain the other hedges. I did think about a dry stone wall, but it will cost a small fortune.

Soldato
I have had hedges for years and years but now being old I put in a fence 10 yrs ago with concrete post and wooden panels - since then when a few panels came out one windy night I now have plastic slot in fencing - Do they look better than a hedge - No - is it easy to maintain -Yes. So if you are youing and fit get a hedge and if you are old put up a good fence.
I used to hate cutting hedges.:)

Soldato
The problem is fences aren't exactly maintenance free. You will still need to paint/oil them every couple of years (both sides) in order to keep them in good shape. I personally think that's a lot more effort than going at a hedge with a hedge cutter.

Soldato
One of my favourites if planting is not an option is double slatted fencing, which when done right, absorbs wind and is pleasing to look at (on both sides) and can also look good with showy plants.

Back
Top Bottom