What to RMA on Ryzen Build - Very strange issue

Soldato
OP
nah that's not so crazy, you have to look at it every day so it needs to be right

thanks for the info, I'm going to ask them if the cpu isn't faulty to ship it straight back at which point ill buy a new board from them, ill post in Cs forum tomorrow asking them about it and hopefully they'll be happy with that

Soldato
guy on the phone at ocuk when I called and described the issue said "it is ryzen" doesn't inspire confidence at all (sound like a very bias response to me, Intel fanboy response)
Just to chip in on this point, I doubt it was a 'fanboy' response from a staff member. More likely they are just fielding a lot of calls/queries even rmas from early adopters who are having different issues (especially ram not running at rated) - remember even though this is an enthusiast forum not everyone who buys a Ryzen rig will be bothered or capable of fixing issues themselves and will likely just phone OcUK up when they hit a snag.

Soldato
OP
The two boards builds i've set up used the Gigabyte Gaming 3 - very little 'real' difference between the 2 boards.

To date they've been rock solid and running Corsair 3200 memory at 2933MHz using the XMP and adjusting the multiplier (I've helped a new builder on the forums with the exact same setup and he's had the same results).

I only mention this if the supplier wont compromise on refund etc - they may allow a compromise and let switch to the 3 version, it would only be a few pounds difference and may give you a bit more confidence in the setup/format.

hi plec

the motherboard was confirmed faulty and a gaming 3 is being sent as a replacement by ocuk legendary customer services. What bios are you running on the 3's? Beta off the forums or official, can you also link to the thread where you discussed ram settings so I can have a read though it please?

cheers

Soldato
hi plec

the motherboard was confirmed faulty and a gaming 3 is being sent as a replacement by ocuk legendary customer services. What bios are you running on the 3's? Beta off the forums or official, can you also link to the thread where you discussed ram settings so I can have a read though it please?

cheers

Hey Relentless81

Sure - and glad to read you've identified the fault and got the replacement you wanted.

I've used the official F6 BIOS on all of them - even the one on Beady's build in this thread.

There's not much to read (well there is if you read all 69 pages leading up to the build - but you'll probably be holding your knees and rocking in the corner if you attempt that) as the settings applied below worked and have remained stable:

I literally set the XMP and adjusted the multiplier to 2933 and to date no stability or cold boot issues (i was expecting to have to play with timings - but we got lucky). Once the new AGESA update comes out i'll experiment again - but for now i/he's happy with 2933Mhz - same with the other 2 builds.

These are the core components/brands of all 3 builds for reference:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Additional: Don't apply RivaTuner for the Afterburner overlay (if you use this) - it's been known to cause stability issues.​

Soldato
OP
thanks for the info plec much appreciated. I don't use any overlays so no worries there

XMP applied 3200 C16 with my Team Group ram so ill see if this board does the same, if not ill have a tinker based on what you've said

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom