What to set up where...

Soldato
well, the new machine is here and i think ive got it running how i want, all except F@H

the question, what will give me the best output

basic spec:

q6600 (stock)
x1950pro (stock)
2gb Ram (may upgrade if i find a reason or have the money next month)

do I go 4 SMP's running in VMware (assuming only 2 gig of mem will cope), or 3 SMP's in VMware and the 4th running a gpu client? or some other combination??

recommendations? :)

Last edited:

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Each VM can only access 2 cores. So to have all 4 cores folding you need 2 VMs. And that'll be tight going with 2gb unless it's going to be a dedicated folder.

Soldato
At stock I'd go with two Winsmp's and make use of all the 2610's that the quads love, with minimal overheads.

if Oc'ed follow in the footsteps of deepthought with twin VMwares runing a total of four linuxSMP's

EDIT: but as cob said that doesn't leave much room for you to use it :(

Last edited:
Soldato
the GPU client will nick all of one core and will have a knock on effect on the SMP clients. You would also lose another chunk of RAM and have your system getting nice and toasty - and LOUD!

Just stick with SMP clients :D

Man of Honour
Soldato
cokecan72 said:
so just running winSMP should use all the cores it needs?
Yep, it uses four processes. If you have fewer than that it has to switch them out to share time between the cores. Though you might get a small boost from running a total of eight processes I personally don't think it's worth the extra overhead.

Soldato
Obviously(?) it varies with the project but a stock E6600's best frame rate is just under 15 min. I'd expect a stock Q6600 to do better than half that as it isn't wasting time switching processes around. You'd be looking at around 3000PPD.

Associate
Apologies for hijacking but i've just started to fold again this time with the winsmp. Just wondering if i would be better off with 2 instances of winsmp running or just the one.

Currently using a 2 X Opty 285(dual core) rig with 2 GB Ram

Cheers

Soldato
Snapshot said:
Obviously(?) it varies with the project but a stock E6600's best frame rate is just under 15 min. I'd expect a stock Q6600 to do better than half that as it isn't wasting time switching processes around. You'd be looking at around 3000PPD.

So worst case scenario we're still looking at <10min per frame. Thats pretty cool.

Thanks. :)

I'm tempted to go for one but I think I'll wait till the end of the year to see what else happens.

Soldato
I'd hope best case to be around 7 min. I think Cob's overclocked monster hits around 4.5min per frame! I may go for one at the end of the month if I can afford it.

Back
Top Bottom