What to upgrade for PC gaming (if possible)

Associate
OP
what monitor and resolution are you playing at? If your at 1080 resolution a 1660 super (look at the Zotac twin fan) should do the trick. I would try the card with your current CPU/mobo/ram combo first to see if it does what you want first before upgrading those. I'm running a 10 year old I7 quite happily with recent games.

Thanks! That's interesting.

My current monitor is AOC e2752vqv 27" 1080. I'm no plans to upgrade to a higher res at the moment, but I would like a system that could handle the upgrade.

Soldato
But do I really need to push to a 5700 XT and a 2600?

If I just want to play games from the past few years in HD and fairly decent specs, is this necessary?

I could always upgrade again if I find it's something I want to spend more time doing.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
As a Vega64 owner, I would recommend go for a 5700 or 5700XT with a custom cooler over a Vega56 or Vega64 since the price is hardly much more.

5700 around on par with the Vega64, but it is newer and more efficient and cooler running. Also with the the Navi's RNDA architecture, the 5700 would do quite a bit better than the Vega64 in titles which that used to run better on Nvidia than AMD's offering (i.e. Witcher 3, Monster Hunter World just a name a couple).

Don't get me wrong, Vega are very decent cards for their time, but they are old tech now; if you don't want to spend too much on graphic card, even the 5600XT would be a better consideration as it is very close to 5700 in performance.

Associate
OP
So I've pretty much settled on this.

All the parts have a great write-up. The CPU is a placeholder for the 1600 AF version which I can get for a few quid more.

I've spoken to a few people and this should be able to handle games from the past few years at 1080p easily. Which is what I want for now without paying too much.

I've pushed to the 5700 XT as a lot of people have advised against a VEGA and the closest GTX 1070 is more expensive.

What do you guys think?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (14nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£91.97)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£98.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£73.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (£359.99)
Total: £624.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Last edited:
Soldato
So I've pretty much settled on this.

All the parts have a great write-up. The CPU is a placeholder for the 1600 AF version which I can get for a few quid more.

I've spoken to a few people and this should be able to handle games from the past few years at 1080p easily. Which is what I want for now without paying too much.

I've pushed to the 5700 XT as a lot of people have advised against a VEGA and the closest GTX 1070 is more expensive.

What do you guys think?
You best remove the mentioning of competitor names...it is a bannable offence on the forum. Quote the price but not their name.

Back
Top Bottom