What to upgrade too?

Associate
Hi All,

I know my way around computers and I can build them to a good standard but I am always confused by the many different GPU cards, CPU's, Sockets and Motherboards to choose from and have generally asked the community's which they think are the best.

I am looking at upgrading to DDR4 memory and I looking at the x99 board, but is this the best way to go and will this be future proofing. I cannot afford to invest in a full system and tend to build up as I go along but resigned my self to the fact that I have to at some point upgrade MB, CPU, and ram all the same time and TBH i could do with a new GPU although I am disappointing because the last GPU I had lasted me a lot longer and it was significantly cheaper.

So what would you suggest.

Should I go x99 or 1151? A 6800k or a 7700k Do I really need an expensive motherboard
Kaby lake haswell or whatever?
And is there really £200-300 difference in a AMD 480 over NVid 1080 and is the investment in a 1080 going to last?

I play 4k video works well with potplayer on m,y current system, can't currently play some games 4k particularly project racing although strangely I can play Battlefront in 4k! And i would like RBG to go with my other RGB stuff, Nuts I know

I'd like the upgrade to be as cheap as possible but the best bang for the buck so to speak max £1000 but would love 500-600 if possible

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom