What tools needed for chain change?

Soldato
Yeah as above.. I wouldn't even think about changing the gear ratio unless it's all knackered any way. 11 speed cassettes are a lot more expensive that 8 or 9 speed cassettes, and they are a consumable item they will wear out.
And if you go single speed on the front ring, you might have chain line issues to consider.

Soldato
I went through chain and sprockets and cassette in 500 miles of off-roading over winter. Had a new set on for a few hundred miles now and I'm about to start alternating the chain so that the wear patterns on the sprockets and cassette isn't as bad. That's the idea anyway.

Soldato
Plan is to count how many links I have on current chain and size the new one with that, also thinking of cleaning the lube that come son the chain as I've read it's not very good.
The 'lube' that comes on the majority of new chains (including the couple of KMC I've used) tends to be a type of wax and not lube/oil. It's substantially better than any lubes you'll be adding afterwards and should be left alone (just keep an ear open for when it starts to sound rougher and just lube it then!).

Soldato
OP
^ I will leave it on then, thanks for the advice.

I'll also leave the gears as is then if you guys think its a bad idea. I was thinking of going down to 9 gears basically. Mainly changing from 3 speed chainring down to just the 1 but keeping the 8 speed cassette as I do use 4 of the gears in the range. Thought it would make the bike slightly more simple, but perhaps it's not worth the hassle.

Soldato
As roady said, the lube that the chains come with pre applied is generally considered good.

You'll need to relube it sooner or later anyway so save yourself a job and just run it till it needs more.

Then you can enter the fascinating and endless debate on 'which lube is best?' to which there is no definitive answer!
Do use cycle specific chain lube though, don't be tempted to use engine oil, or motorcycle chain oil as they are different beasts and will just end up in a mess.

Soldato
OP
I have a bottle of decathlon teflon cycle oil already, works really well. I find the chains get dirty or dry up from around a month of riding, so these days I find myself cleaning and relubing the chain on near a monthly basis.

Soldato
Yeh I think I'm probably about the same unless the trails are muddy, then it's more like after every ride.
It's easy to keep on top of if you do it regularly, and there's nothing worse than a manky clattery drive chain.

Back
Top Bottom