Poll: What type of driving licence do you have?

What type of UK driving licence do you have?

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Photocard since they came out. Renewed last month though and did it all online, they pulled the photo off my passport directly and I didn't have to send in any new photo which I thought was funky. The new card is of inferior quality to the old one pre-Brexit too. The flag looks whack, the print quality is whack... It's whack.

Caporegime
For the ones that expire in 2025, is it just a case of getting a new photo card? Or is it more significant (test retake or otherwise)?
The ones that expire in 2025 (HGV/LGV) are renewed once you’ve passed a medical (which is every 5 years for my age group) in addition you also have to complete periodic classroom training over the 5 year period, called a Driver C.P.C. - Certificate of Professional Competence - which largely consists of a group of drivers sitting in a classroom being told how to suck eggs usually by someone who’s not even got an HGV license never mind knows anything about the job other than what his PowerPoint presentation tells him/her.

On my last session we made the lecturer cry.... :D

I think anyone that passed before 1997 will have the same as you do (except the CE). I know I do but my missus doesn't (she passed 2002).

Photo for me, moved several times in the last 15 years.
Pretty much yes.

Soldato
Current photo type, which is good timing because I've just had a letter saying it needs renewal by june and oh I need to spend £25 for the priviege and head to the next town to find a post office capable of taking a photo and sending the application as passport has expired. Nice.

Wish I still had my green paper one but thats long gone.

Photo card here, older licence so can do 50cc without cbt (if I weirdly wanted to) Afew other things
https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

Have a full unrestricted motorcycle licence as well as car so that doesn't apply to me :p

Associate
Current Photo Card, when I passed in 1998 I think I was one of the last to get a paper licence, but have moved house a few times since so had to update to a photo card.

Man of Honour
Current pink photocard type. It's worrying that my license expires in 2039 which is only 18 years away :( On the plus side it means I've probably got some heavier vehicles on there by default which newer drivers don't get without passing a further test, such as a small lorry up to 7.5t. Not that I'd ever need to. Yay, go me \o/ :)

Soldato
Current photo card but also still have this one.

Red Licence dated 1976
UrjO6NA.jpg
jVIyb4K.jpg

And some petrol rationing slips - I think these are around 1976 as well

js9j8uQ.jpg

My car at the time was a Ford Zodiac Executive - Scrapped it at 8 yrs old due to body rot
I moved from the address on there 42 yrs ago

Soldato
Current pink photocard type. It's worrying that my license expires in 2039 which is only 18 years away :( On the plus side it means I've probably got some heavier vehicles on there by default which newer drivers don't get without passing a further test, such as a small lorry up to 7.5t. Not that I'd ever need to. Yay, go me \o/ :)

Mine expires 2034. When I got the licence that seemed an incredible long time away (passed when I was 18) now not that long at all.

Current photo card but also still have this one.

Red Licence dated 1976
UrjO6NA.jpg

I think I remember those my mother had one!

Associate
Same :)

(Just to clarify - I can't renew online as don't have a Passport)

Same for me, my passport expired more than ten years ago and I have no need of one. I wanted to open a Starling account and of course 'the computer said no' :p.

I renewed mine last month, just went onto the DVLA website & uploaded a new photo. Think it cost £16

Edited as I only spotted your reply after but as above :D.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom