What type of Ethernet cable from switch to face plates?

Associate
Hi,

I have virgin M350 broadband with a hub 3.0 router, situated at the front of my bungalow in a bedroom.

I would like to run Ethernet cables to other rooms via a switch/hub in the loft. I would want the cables terminating in each room at network sockets, rather than having visible cables hanging out the walls. What sort of cat 5e or cat 6 cable do I need for this?

So I’ll have the Virgin hub 3.0 with 1x cat 5e/cat 6 cable going from this up to the loft where it plugs in to a switch, the switch will then have cat 5e/cat 6 cables going down to a few rooms to sockets which I can plug the PC in to, smart tv, Xbox etc. I’ll only need 1x socket in each room.

Any advice or links to cabling / face plates or switches etc much appreciated

You will need a roll of good quality cat6 cable, ideally a patch panel, and then a load of faceplates with euro modules

(You will also need surface mount or flush mount back boxes depending on how involved you are going with your installation)

It's worth doing a search of this subforum as what you are asking is such a common question there are already plenty of posts on the subject and lots of useful advice

Ok thank you.

Regarding the euro modules, I see there are a few variations - UTP, FTP, LJ6C etc.
What would I need for my set up?

UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) is all that you should need in a home environment.

Everything should ideally match in terms of Cat rating i.e. Cat6, and cable type i.e. UTP. So your cable, patch panel, and euro mods all need to be Cat6 UTP rated.

(In reality it doesn't matter too much if you accidentally use Cat6 cable e.g. with Cat5e faceplates, but it wouldn't meet professional certification, and in edge case scenarios e.g. near interference, or running near the full 100m cable length then that's where you might notice issues)

Perfect thank you. One other thing, would this cable be suitable for external use? In future I may convert an old shed in to a outside cabin and would like ethernet run to that.

Worth buying a roll of cable, bunch of connectors and a crimp tool so you can make cables the right length for the job you need. So happy I did so on my home network, now it's all tidy and works just as I need it to.

Just a quick one.

Can one cat 6 Ethernet cable feed a double Ethernet socket? I plan to have a Ethernet socket in the conservatory but would be good to have 2x points to plug in rather than 1x. Would I need to run 2x cables?

Last edited:
In terms of reliability and speed, there really is little competition between wired and wireless. Just run another cable and don’t look back.

Back
Top Bottom