What upgrade path?

Soldato
Afternoon,
Current spec is the following:

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.6 / 16GB RAM (3200mhz) / RTX 3080 / AX370 Gaming 5 (Gigabyte).

Have been looking at upgrading the CPU to a 5500 AM4 CPU... CpuBenchmarks seem to say that I should expect about a 20% increase... Althought I'm a bit out of touch with this stuff.

Main use is gaming (COD, PUBG, Arm3 etc). I'd like to beef up the CPU if possible as the GPU is the main workhorse of the system now and I feel the CPU may be lagging behind a little.

Any advice on what to do please?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You should get the 5600 its a much better performer than the 5500 as it has a bigger cache which helps in gaming.

It also is Pcie4 but your motherboard is only pcie3 .

If want to push the boat out then the 5800x3d is a gaming monster.

Last edited:
Associate
Another vote for the 5600 or the 5800X 3D. Get 2 more sticks of your ram and you would then have a PC that is good for the next 5 years if not longer.

Last edited:
Associate
Is the 5600x worth the extra £30 or so over the 5600?

No go for the cheaper option imho.

New baby due beginning of next year which forces me for the cheaper option unfortunately!

Congratulations, hope all goes as planned and enjoy the special early years with the baby asleep on you shoulder while you mine ore in Azeroth... sorry just has a personal flashback to 2006.

Soldato
OP
No get the 5600, congratulations to you both.
Thank you.

No go for the cheaper option imho.

Congratulations, hope all goes as planned and enjoy the special early years with the baby asleep on you shoulder while you mine ore in Azeroth... sorry just has a personal flashback to 2006.
:D Thank you! On our first I rinsed through Horizon ZD, it's going to be a bit different this time around.

So I've got the CPU in my basket, worth investing in a new cooler for it? I've been using the bundled AMD cooler with the 1600 since having it and it's done a decent job.
Have also found my RAM for £62 elsewhere (Corsair Vengance 2x8GB) (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) so will pick up that too.
Hopefully that should tie me over for a good while longer before an AM5 upgrade.

Man of Honour
Thank you.

:D Thank you! On our first I rinsed through Horizon ZD, it's going to be a bit different this time around.

So I've got the CPU in my basket, worth investing in a new cooler for it? I've been using the bundled AMD cooler with the 1600 since having it and it's done a decent job.
Have also found my RAM for £62 elsewhere (Corsair Vengance 2x8GB) (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) so will pick up that too.
Hopefully that should tie me over for a good while longer before an AM5 upgrade.
2 things.

You can buy a cooler anytime so see how the stock cooler performs.

Memory in your first post You have 3200mhz but the memory you sugested is 3000mhz while not a big deal in performance get the same if you can as the motherboard will downclock the memory to 3000mhz.

Edit

3rd thing you need to check what bios version You have and update in a certain order, so please read the bios notes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks, memory is in fact 3000mhz, I thought it was 3200 memory but since checking it is the exact memory I quoted in previous message.

Will go check out MB BIOS updates now...

Back
Top Bottom