What VR headset should I get?

Associate
I managed not to throw up playing Trackmania Turbo on PSVR back in the day which I count as a success! I also use to own a Rift S many years ago and played DiRT Rally a bit. Got rid because I found the overall graphical quality (resolution) too low for my liking.

Is trackmania the one with all the crazy tracks with loops and jumps and stuff??

You should be fine then :)

Associate
given a second hand quest 3 wouldn't lose much value, and you'd get to use it immediately.. and then if you think it's not the dogs.. (quite good enough!) can always then sell it and buy a Pimax Crystal Light.. or whatever the next headset is on the horizon..

I would go second hand Quest 3 now, to at least get into VR simming, and then upgrade if you find the visuals not quite there.. although i have to say i doubt the Pimax Crystal will be a generational leap over the Quest 3..

Soldato
Second hand quest pro might be even better for pure simming than the 3? There's a good deal in one electronics shop selling them new for just above £500.

Once you're registered and setup, it may be possible (albeit risky) to sell the controller second hand.

Man of Honour
If you have a decent enough PC a Quest 3 is ample (crank up the oversampling and encoding, i have a 5800x3d and a 4090 and you barely notice the lag/compression in car only if the track is zooming past full screened you can slightly notice it) to get started with! I own a Quest 3 and a Varjo Aero and the quest 3 is at least 80% of the Aero, so probably not much further from the Crystal Light and i actually prefer the FOV on the Quest 3 to the Aero but it's a little lower resolution, it's always swings and roundabouts with VR headsets but the Quest 3 is probably your best bet

Last edited:
Soldato
Pimax Crystal light with local dimming and DMAS ear phones will give you the experience, Quest3 gives you the value for money and the Bigscreen Beyond will give you the comfort.

PSVR2 you need to wait for the reviews as it won't be feature complete for the PC we are being told. So no one knows for sure atm it could be good, it could be dire or something in between.

Soldato
I’ve been looking at getting a new headset to replace the Vive, the Crystal Light looks ace on paper but those reviews of the company… Can't say it builds confidence in the product

It’s purely going to be for pcvr, mainly sim titles.

Associate
buy it from rainforest . Don't buy it from Pimax. I returned multiple Crystals to them without any issues as I kept getting sent ones with weird lenses.
The crystal looked great in AMS2, but you're going to need to upgrade your GPU if you want to see the benefits of the Crystal resolution.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom