What was your first (PC) computer, 286,386?

Caporegime
Does anyone remember those 486 computers with that turbo button, I do :D It was also my first computer before I got myself an AMD K6-2, but what was your first PC computer? ( DOS era onwards )

I think it was pentium 3.... 800mhz processor.

I think like 64mb ram? it was an E-machines model.

Then I built my own pc, I still have my first pc I ever built and my view sonic CRT monitor when AMD used to rule the roost.

:D oh man.... how kids these days have NO IDEA what it was like back then.

I used to play cs 1.6 with a 56k modem.

1998, PIII 550Mhz, 128Mb RAM, onboard GFX, 17'' screen. Can't remember HD size. Tons of free CD's like Microsoft Encarta and Corel draw with it.

Few years later I got a 65Mb ATI 8500LE which I thought was amazing at the time, I still remember the 9700Pro being the king of graphics cards.

I assume the ZX spectrum or Acorn Electron don't count?

Using internet accelerator software to gain that massive 0.5Kb/s extra on your 56K modem.

Yup I do, old fart I know!... I cobbled together a 486 SX25 system out of an old AT case, motherboard/cpu/memory from my mates pc who had upgraded to 486 DX2 66(GIT) the PSU was from a really old case and was massive and had to be velcroed to the top of the case :D True ghetto mod!

Played Alone in the Dark tho! :eek:

My first PC was made by Tiny.

It was a PII 350mhz, I don't recall the graphics card but it coped fine with Unreal. 6.4gb HDD and I paid a huge amount more for a second 6.4gb drive because I was using it for audio editing while at uni and needed the extra space! :)

I had a few Amigas and assorted others beforehand but my first PC was a 386SX33, which to this day is the only ready built PC I have ever bought.
The first upgrades were new motherboard and a 486DX2 66, extra RAM and then a 486DX2 100.

Last edited:
You had a 40MB hd with a 286! That must have cost an absolute fortune. My 40MB drive which came with my 486 must have cost over £150.

It was a very smart PC made by Phillips. Yes it was a lot at the time, but I soon filled it. Started with DOS 6 then through 6.22 and ended with windows 3 before I built my first PC a 486 DX33 with 4MB ram.

My first PC that I owned was a 486 that I wrote my PhD thesis up on. I remember at the time it was the absolute dogs danglies (in my eyes at least). I managed to get my supervisor to buy me a "huge" HDD, which I think was a mighty 1Gb and cost an absolute fortune.

My first PC was made by Tiny.

It was a PII 350mhz, I don't recall the graphics card but it coped fine with Unreal. 6.4gb HDD and I paid a huge amount more for a second 6.4gb drive because I was using it for audio editing while at uni and needed the extra space! :)

Snap, also Tiny, also remember TIME computers, they seemed to be both massive back then but didn't last longer than a few years. I assume due to the bursting of the dot.com bubble.

Fun internet days back then.

Back in 1993

Intel 486 DX-2 66Mhz
1Mb S3 Graphics Card
8Mb RAM
340Mb Western Digital Hard Drive
Panasonic Dual Speed CD-ROM

MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11

I remember having DOOM and Commache 3 game on it

Back
Top Bottom