What watch do you wear?

Soldato
It's not a watch I'd consider at the price point, even if the quality is there up in close. It doesn't speak to me and for £3.5k it would need to literally shout. The CW brand and their pricing strategy over the years has rubbed a few up the wrong way. At least they took away the logo on this model :p

Hey, if you like it, screw what anyone else thinks!

Caporegime
What's the value prop then? Id want it to be more than on par. I like it, but 3.5k on a CW feels a lot.
It is imo a silly price for a garish watch (they keep throwing luminous orange on so many models) from a watch brand with minimal pedigree that will depreciate like a rock. CW really have got overly optimistic with their image and pricing in the last couple of years. They don't even produce their own watches, they just design and then outsource them.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is imo a silly price for a garish watch (they keep throwing luminous orange on so many models) from a watch brand with minimal pedigree that will depreciate like a rock. CW really have got overly optimistic with their image and pricing in the last couple of years. They don't even produce their own watches, they just design and then outsource them.

Completely agree with this. Although I quite like some of their designs and they were reasonable value when they started out, no way I'd pay what they are asking these days.

Soldato
You mean like the majority of watch brands? Wow, shocking.

Soldato
Not sure why so many die hard CW have emerged from the wood work.

It is orders of magnitude more expensive than their other watches, and it is certainly an acquired taste - skeleton movement with oodles of lume.

It is now priced where you should think twice about what you could get your hands on (Tudor, Longines, Baume & Mercier, Rado [Captain Cook?]), and herein lies why comparison comes into it.

On its own merit I am sure it may be worth £3.5k. But that doesn't mean I think it is worth it. A big part of the sell price for me is the brand heritage and how it makes me feel. CW doesn't make me feel anything, even as a well established "micro brand".

Associate
You've been stung if you pay the full website price with CW, they have that many money off jobbies that the full price is artificially high. Although this being a limited edition might be an exception.

Soldato
I'm currently torn between the Tudor Black Bay Ceramic and the Black Bay 58 925 (silver). Having tried both sizes, I think the Black Bay is a better size so am inclined to go in that direction. Prices are quite similar but the only downside is they are both waitlist items.

Soldato
I'm currently torn between the Tudor Black Bay Ceramic and the Black Bay 58 925 (silver). Having tried both sizes, I think the Black Bay is a better size so am inclined to go in that direction. Prices are quite similar but the only downside is they are both waitlist items.
Good choice. Love my 58, I seriously need to give it more wrist time though (it’s just too easy to throw a quartz on at 4am before work :p )

Soldato
I think the ceramic cases are relatively robust, but the Black Bay has an anodised bezel which admittedly is a little odd. I think if you drop it on a hard surface it could chip the case, but would be resistant to scratching. To be honest, I will never use it for its intended purpose so it will be treated well.

Soldato
Good choice. Love my 58, I seriously need to give it more wrist time though (it’s just too easy to throw a quartz on at 4am before work :p )

My wife wants a Tudor 1926 at the same time so between us it's probably worth investing in a watch winder to avoid the hassle if they run through their reserves. I mean that's how I plan to justify buying one to her! :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
You mean like the majority of watch brands? Wow, shocking.
Like the majority of new watch brands like CW, yes. There are obviously a proportion of established watch brands (mostly Swiss and German) that have amazing watches around the 4k mark that do not depreciate as drastically if at all.

Soldato
My wife wants a Tudor 1926 at the same time so between us it's probably worth investing in a watch winder to avoid the hassle if they run through their reserves. I mean that's how I plan to justify buying one to her! :D
I have a Wolf Watch Winder you can have for a reasonable price if you want to get the ball rolling. 'BNIB' - I had it out for a week or so, but my house is tiny and I can't find a pitch for it. I also have like 8 automatics so it is a bit of a teaspoon solving a JCB problem :D

Associate
Not sure why so many die hard CW have emerged from the wood work.

It is orders of magnitude more expensive than their other watches, and it is certainly an acquired taste - skeleton movement with oodles of lume.

It is now priced where you should think twice about what you could get your hands on (Tudor, Longines, Baume & Mercier, Rado [Captain Cook?]), and herein lies why comparison comes into it.

On its own merit I am sure it may be worth £3.5k. But that doesn't mean I think it is worth it. A big part of the sell price for me is the brand heritage and how it makes me feel. CW doesn't make me feel anything, even as a well established "micro brand".

Most balanced response and quite right, but no one is buying this as their first watch or if they were in the market for the brands and models you mention. I'm not buying this CW and Ive got all kinds of stuff across the ranges of price and styles.

Associate
I love my 58 too.

Aren't the ceramic cases a bit fragile?

I'd love the 925 silver or the bronze.

Ceramic cases are as fragile as sapphire crystals so if you are fairly good with not banging up your watches you'll be fine. I've got a Tudor Blackshield Fastrider ceramic I got in 2017 and an Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 ceramic from 2019 and both are perfect.

Back
Top Bottom