What were the advantages in being in the EU?

Associate
this is well worth watching:

If I believed Daniel Hannans opinions were the driving force behind Brexit while I do not agree I would be far less unhappy with the outcome of this referendum.

However he is a terrible example as he fully believes in free movement of labour something I think many leave voters thought they were voting against.

APM

APM

Associate
Belonging to the largest economic market in the world.

Being part of the greatest cultural and intellectual group.

Soldato
OP
The steel thing is quite a strange one because our own government decided to favour Chinese import over home grown. In fact, that's something the EU was investigating as a cause for damaging local business. I have a friend who used to work for Tata up in Scunthorpe and that was a bit of a kick in the teeth really. For that reason, it seems a little backward to me because even if the industry was doing badly, there was a buyer (albeit slow moving) and the issue was at home rather than with the EU. I'm getting the impression that a lot of the blame is misplaced hence the 'protest vote'.

I'm from Sheffield originally and it's not particularly 'poor' but there are certainly areas within and in the surrounding boroughs which are and there are issues. I don't doubt that the NE is any different - from what you say, it's possibly worse. The thing is, that's where the EU funding was being used - our own government being as London-centric as it is, despite the whole 'Northern Power House' talk, has never really engaged these areas. Cornwall is well known and advertised as being the poorest area in the country.

London has a lot to answer for, and the rest of the country has acted more decisively than ever in this vote, so my thoughts are they have no choice but to listen. Steel made in Britain should be sold in Britain if there's a market(which clearly there is), we don't need cheap Chinese steel(low quality) so I am as dumbfounded as you.

This Steel plant, and Sheffield need to push hard on this subject. It's a disgrace.

Not sure why the EU didn't actually act, but basically just stated it was "looking into it", maybe they were the cause all along. We'll see.

Soldato
I understand what you are saying. But the EU has been stalling on buying the Steel plant in Wales for months, so there was a very real possibility it wouldn't of gone through, in fact people had lost hope. Maybe we should sell steel elsewhere, maybe the billionaire owner needs to be patient as it is quite obvious that steel is a highly sort after commodity.

I don't see Cornwall, Yorkshire as poor to be honest. I'm not being biased, but the poverty in the North East is shocking, now that is a poor area.

Manchester bombing, how our own government didn't have the money I don't know, they did for 7/7.

The North East receives lots of EU funding see:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/revealed-how-much-eu-funding-7789224

Wales is poor and highly dependent on EU money:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...s-town-showered-eu-cash-votes-leave-ebbw-vale

Cornwall:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...erwhelmingly-votes-in-favour-of-a7101311.html

Soldato
The EU is also great for getting lots of countries to work on and implement the same rules which are acceptable to all on big issues that affect all of them which cannot be tackled alone such as climate change.

As has been pointed out earlier, it's a disaster for Science funding and research as well as collaboration between scientists in EU countries where freedom of movement helps them to move between research labs and facilities in the member countries:

http://www.theguardian.com/higher-e...annot-afford-to-lose-out-on-this-pot-of-money

Soldato
The contributions to the pension have been stopped. A final figure has been given, with a guarantee of an increase that falls in line with inflation.

So, you do not have a stock linked pension fund, you have an annuity.
You are 'retired' from the POV of this pension, this crash won't affect you, no matter how deep, it will affect everyone else still trying to work.

So thanks for you wonderful incite into how the next six months economically do not matter to you.
Total strawman to what I said initially.

Soldato
London has a lot to answer for, and the rest of the country has acted more decisively than ever in this vote, so my thoughts are they have no choice but to listen. Steel made in Britain should be sold in Britain if there's a market(which clearly there is), we don't need cheap Chinese steel(low quality) so I am as dumbfounded as you.

This Steel plant, and Sheffield need to push hard on this subject. It's a disgrace.

Not sure why the EU didn't actually act, but basically just stated it was "looking into it", maybe they were the cause all along. We'll see.

I agree; however I fear that in coping with the economic issues, what will actually happen is that resources will just be poured back into London to keep the financial centres and the country afloat to the further detriment of these areas.

I'm not sure how, in the short to mid term at the very least, where the investment is going to come from to both cope with the overall hit to the economy and continue funding ancillary projects. Knowing the way the government works, I suspect the tax payer and it's people in these areas that feel it the most.

I don't doubt it will recover eventually but it's a lot of pain over a long time and very little gain as I see it to be honest. All of it hinges on what sort of trade deals we are able to secure because the economy is obviously fundamental.

Soldato
European health insurance (allowing a standard level of care even for those with pre existing medical conditions), European common aviation area effectively resulting in cheaper air fares with more choice, compensation agreements over delayed flights, lower phone roaming charges, higher bank deposit protection limits to name a handful of the benefits that many people have benefited from directly.

Some of these existed before in some shape or form, it would be a shame if we can't negotiate similar protection/benefits or if any of these are watered down after we leave.

Caporegime
This is a complex one. I talked to an NHS consultant and the rumours in the NHS is that some people will have to pay for treatment, I don't think this will happen to be honest.

If your relationship is marriage material then you need to decide what country you want to live in. Considering your girlfriends conditions I'd recommend Britain.

Why do you have to "decide" which country you want to live in? Can't you be international? I've just led the UK and plan on living in Canada for a few years, but I don't plan on spending the rest of my life here. Whether I come back to the UK, spend some time in Europe (perhaps not now), Oz or perhaps the Middle East for a few years I don't know yet, but I do know I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life in one place.

I u sweat and that many people are satisfied with growing up, living and dying in the same town, but many, many people are internationalists and are happy and want to experience the best of the world. Does that mean I'm not patriotic? No. Does that mean I want to experience the world. Yes.

Leaving the EU and the freedom of movement and work that that will certainly entail is a backwards step for many. Why should he have to decide wher he has to live? Why can they not spend some time in Austria, India and the U.K.?

Soldato
Most decisions on which laws and rules to accept (~75-95%) within the EU are taken by consensus i.e. it only happens if everyone is happy with it:http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2...building-behaviour-of-individual-governments/. Only very few are by majority rule (but we have a veto on certain things anyway) so it is much more accountable than you think and is certainly not authoritarian or a dictatorship.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So, you do not have a stock linked pension fund, you have an annuity.
You are 'retired' from the POV of this pension, this crash won't affect you, no matter how deep, it will affect everyone else still trying to work.

So thanks for you wonderful incite into how the next six months economically do not matter to you.
Total strawman to what I said initially.

They do matter to me, believe it or not care for people in this country. I'm also 41 and am still employed.

Very strange response.

Soldato
OP
I agree; however I fear that in coping with the economic issues, what will actually happen is that resources will just be poured back into London to keep the financial centres and the country afloat to the further detriment of these areas.

I'm not sure how, in the short to mid term at the very least, where the investment is going to come from to both cope with the overall hit to the economy and continue funding ancillary projects. Knowing the way the government works, I suspect the tax payer and it's people in these areas that feel it the most.

I don't doubt it will recover eventually but it's a lot of pain over a long time and very little gain as I see it to be honest. All of it hinges on what sort of trade deals we are able to secure because the economy is obviously fundamental.

Both of us are in the dark at the moment in many ways, such as how will the North and other working class areas in the Midlands and surrounding areas of London(basically everywhere except London) be treat by whatever government we are given.

One thing is for sure, we have our voice back.

Soldato
They do matter to me, believe it or not care for people in this country. I'm also 41 and am still employed.

Very strange response.

It isn't strange, your statement was to the effect that your three pensions are safe, and pensions all have under writers.

Which isn't a reflection of reality for people paying into pension schemes currently. People paying in now, including yourself, expected to work until 67, will continue to make contributions. Most pension products are stock linked in some way.
If stock is slaughtered, entire pots people have worked towards over a great many years take a hit.
We have yet to see the true effect of Brexit. We simply won't know based on trading last Friday, but anyone who is trying to build a pension pot, should be concerned regarding the next economic period.

That was the basis of my statement. Then you said its fine, its underwritten, its fine, it is inflation linked. For the vats majority of 41 year olds working towards a pension, it is anything but fine, or index linked. It is simply a great gaping unknown, and only time will tell us where that unknown leads.

So anyway, advantages of the EU, I believe several hundreds of millions of pounds were granted in peace projects for Northern Ireland.

Caporegime
The other advantages of being in the UK include the environmental policies that have not only enriched our lives but those of many round the world. successive British governments have fought to water these down, contrary to scientific advice. So the liklihood of them being enacted solely by a British government is slim to none if we were not in the EU.

The EU seems to be far more science and data driven in its laws and directives than the UK government, that seems to be more conservative opinion based.

Just look at comments such as "we can get V8 engines back" and "we can start producing incandescent bulbs again". Aside from the fact even the US is moving away form V8s and most of the rest of the world are moving towards LED and other high efficiency lighting it's just not going to happen with the small market here.

There's also wusstions over the Paris climate deal. It hasn't yet been ratified by the British government and pulling out of the EU prior to doing so could really upset the apple cart there as well, and that's a worldwide climate deal.

The EU have also been instrumental in helping preserve our fish stocks with quotas that generally try and follow scientific advice. Yet again though the British government have always lobbied against this, and won a quota 20% higher than the scientific advice for sustainable fishing, so it's unlikely decent auotas would have been enacted by a British government with no EU "interference". Just an aside it is the British government giving our quota away to international fishing boats, not the EU. Plenty of countries do not do this and it is not required by EU law.

So basically the EU have been massively beneficial in many parts of our lives environmentally (CAP being the exception, but that is being reformed as we speak to try and remove those issues). From cleaner air and water, more power efficiency and less waste it's a major EU coup that has been blocked at many turns by the British government. That said there is a major crossover between climate change denial and leaving the EU so that may not please a lot of leave supporters.

Soldato
OP
Why do you have to "decide" which country you want to live in? Can't you be international? I've just led the UK and plan on living in Canada for a few years, but I don't plan on spending the rest of my life here. Whether I come back to the UK, spend some time in Europe (perhaps not now), Oz or perhaps the Middle East for a few years I don't know yet, but I do know I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life in one place.

I u sweat and that many people are satisfied with growing up, living and dying in the same town, but many, many people are internationalists and are happy and want to experience the best of the world. Does that mean I'm not patriotic? No. Does that mean I want to experience the world. Yes.

Leaving the EU and the freedom of movement and work that that will certainly entail is a backwards step for many. Why should he have to decide wher he has to live? Why can they not spend some time in Austria, India and the U.K.?

You can't live in 3 places at the same time can you?

Back
Top Bottom