What Will You Do If Windows 12 Isn't Free?

Soldato
I noticed with alarm some of the posts around suggesting that Windows 12 may not be free.

This is one...

Personally, I have no intention of paying a subscription for Windows, in whatever form it arrives in. I will resist as long as I can!

What about you?

Soldato
For my desktop, Windows 10 for incompatible legacy stuff and hopefully eventually a Linux dual-boot if game and software support keeps moving forward. Ready to move now if more of the typically older games I played worked better on Linux, but they don't. Maybe even general use moving to Linux instead and just boot W10 when needed.

Most daily use just using a MacBook (sorry Windows forum people) as it's best for that imo.

Associate
Every time I come accross this is just stop upgrading the software, Adobe lightroom a classic example. However, Windows may be a bit different, evenrtually you wil have no choice but to stump up I reckon.

I'm sure a subscription based model means they would stop trying to hock Office 365, and all those awful apps that get pre-installed with Windows that you'd never want or use too. Right? Right guys?

Sooner Punkbuster, EasyAntiCheat and the like come to Linux the better.

Soldato
I will not be paying a subscription for an OS, I have 2 PCs and a laptop here so would soon mount up.

Ill just stay on the last version before this started.

I do not mind paying for Windows as in you are buying a retail\OEM license and then its mine

Last edited:
Soldato
If it’s 50p / £1 on top of the O365 sub and then you get your OS plus Office that’s fine. We all know it won’t be this though.

Also if you can re-install the OS as many times as you like that’s fine. I’ve had it with builds before where I paid for legit windows and then changed the HD or mobo and it’s suddenly not ok and I ‘should’ pay again for windows.

A lot of people would go Linux and/or Mac.

Last edited:
Associate
They should focus on making windows a good system client to use and worry less about cloud subscriptions. Cloud based systems rarely work well and my work Teams and Outlook (both in the Cloud!) break or run slowly all the time!

Associate
If you could buy it to eliminate all the ads and suggestions / notifications it throws at you then it might be worthwhile.

If not, then I’m out. I feel a little locked into windows based on justifying getting use out of the hardware and software (resolve for example) I’ve bought , but that is rapidly diminishing.

Might even start looking at Linux just now to see how far I can get with it.

Back
Top Bottom