What would protect london in the event of a...

Associate
Light aircraft crashing into a high profile building or event?

Reason I ask, growing up in the north London suburbs I would regularly see light aircraft flying above, inside the m25 but outside the a406. Buckingham palace being 8 miles approx from the a406, travelling at 70mph the aircraft would take 6 mins approx to arrive.

What would stop this rouge plane?

RAF Northolt doesn't keep quick response jets, only conningsby(Lincs) for the south east area. Rapier and star streak have been removed since the 2012 games,I've not heard of any surface to air missiles in londons defence system.

This question has been in my head for years. I'm leaning towards a helicopter being on the ready, to possibly rise up and take out said aircraft or missile.

I know it's a strange one for a Monday morning but could hold off asking no more.

Genuine question from a non terrorist

What do you think?

Man of Honour
More recently they had a Type 45 doing that role but don't think its continuous deployment. Have no idea myself but does seem a bit of a potential vulnerability but then maybe they just don't advertise it.

Man of Honour
I doubt a light aircraft would do as much damage as the 9/11 event. I believe there are also anti aircraft and anti missile defences stationed around the capital.

No doubt it could crash into the general publics work or home building and kill us. But rest assured 'important' people will be safe and protected. Nothing to worry about.

Associate
OP
I doubt a light aircraft would do as much damage as the 9/11 event. I believe there are also anti aircraft and anti missile defences stationed around the capital.

No doubt it could crash into the general publics work or home building and kill us. But rest assured 'important' people will be safe and protected. Nothing to worry about.

Yes, wouldn't do as much damage as a b737 but laden with explosives it could.

Strangely, I'm led to believe london doesn't have missile or aircraft defence. Nothing has been confirmed and am sure we would know about it?

Soldato
Light aircraft crashing into a high profile building or event?

Reason I ask, growing up in the north London suburbs I would regularly see light aircraft flying above, inside the m25 but outside the a406. Buckingham palace being 8 miles approx from the a406, travelling at 70mph the aircraft would take 6 mins approx to arrive.

What would stop this rouge plane?

RAF Northolt doesn't keep quick response jets, only conningsby(Lincs) for the south east area. Rapier and star streak have been removed since the 2012 games,I've not heard of any surface to air missiles in londons defence system.

This question has been in my head for years. I'm leaning towards a helicopter being on the ready, to possibly rise up and take out said aircraft or missile.

I know it's a strange one for a Monday morning but could hold off asking no more.

Genuine question from a non terrorist

What do you think?

The Palace has its own missile system iirc. Not common knowledge.

Caporegime
Does the plane have to be that specific colour?

Thank GOD I'm not the only one who spotted this.

Also, if an aircraft started flying erratically and potentially dangerously in London's airspace with no good reason, it won't be flying there for long. I've seen some things first hand ;)

Back
Top Bottom