What would you do with a free 6 months?

Associate
With the Covid-19 lockdown now easing, we seen an unprecedented situation where many of us were furloughed and effectively being paid to stay at home. This of course saw some people attmept to make the best of a bad situation however it wasn't exactly a paid holiday as most were effectively confined to their homes during this period. Under different circumstances that sort of 'free'-free time would likely be very different.

I know lockdown/furlough for me was pretty mundane and almost time wasted although it did allow me to catch up on some tv shows and have some time to get back into gaming after a period where the last 5 years have been spent working and studying with little time for hobbies.

It does beg the question and one I stuggle to come up with a satisfactory answer myself. With all else being much the same bar the lockdown/Covid situation, paid your usual salary, with same bills etc. and your return to work months away. For me I'm torn between vegetating and just indulging in having nothing to do but converesley appreciate that may only satisfy me for a few weeks before the need for having something to get up in the morning for takes hold. Alternatively I could use it productively, take some short course or apply myself to a hobby or interest such as a van/camper conversion I have always fancied. Unfortunately, in the end I know I'd very likely just fritter the time away doing very little of note and feel awful for the wasted opportunity. Therefore...

...what would you do if you had a free six months?

Associate
OP
I'm in that situation as I took voluntary redundancy at the end Feb, just in time to get locked down. I've spent it learning to be a sparky. Just waiting for the test centre to reopen so I can do my theory exams and then the required practical work.
So, even if I don't go back onto the same career path as I was on, I'll have a trade or useful skills at the end.

That's excellent and is why it is such a difficult but personal question to each of us. I would have likely done similar had I not been in infancy of current career opportunity which I very much hope is something I will do for rest of my working days. Conversely with Mrs etc you would have that tie to be here. Couldn't very well walk out and say see you in a few months whilst I went travelling if I was in that position. I would be in mind that I could maybe get myself to gym everyday and get fit etc. or as others above say I have so many things I think I would like to do but we always throw in our own meta obstacles such as 'asking what is the point?'. Maybe there doesn't have to be a point for some however it can be difficult to muster the motivation for others if they cannot factor that into their considerations.

I like the idea of learning a new language, I have a guitar but can't really play, I enjoy playing and repairing cars but I think that a great deal of what makes them appealing is that they are treats or steal-away times from everyday working life. Having that near unlimited choice for those 6 months diminishes a lot of our usual treat times and unless you have a huge passion or interest that you otherwise live for it is a very difficult question to answer for most of us since it is not something we are otherwise afforded, time to do what we want free of obligation.

Back
Top Bottom