What would you do with a free 6 months?

Associate
With the Covid-19 lockdown now easing, we seen an unprecedented situation where many of us were furloughed and effectively being paid to stay at home. This of course saw some people attmept to make the best of a bad situation however it wasn't exactly a paid holiday as most were effectively confined to their homes during this period. Under different circumstances that sort of 'free'-free time would likely be very different.

I know lockdown/furlough for me was pretty mundane and almost time wasted although it did allow me to catch up on some tv shows and have some time to get back into gaming after a period where the last 5 years have been spent working and studying with little time for hobbies.

It does beg the question and one I stuggle to come up with a satisfactory answer myself. With all else being much the same bar the lockdown/Covid situation, paid your usual salary, with same bills etc. and your return to work months away. For me I'm torn between vegetating and just indulging in having nothing to do but converesley appreciate that may only satisfy me for a few weeks before the need for having something to get up in the morning for takes hold. Alternatively I could use it productively, take some short course or apply myself to a hobby or interest such as a van/camper conversion I have always fancied. Unfortunately, in the end I know I'd very likely just fritter the time away doing very little of note and feel awful for the wasted opportunity. Therefore...

...what would you do if you had a free six months?

Soldato
I'm in that situation as I took voluntary redundancy at the end Feb, just in time to get locked down. I've spent it learning to be a sparky. Just waiting for the test centre to reopen so I can do my theory exams and then the required practical work.
So, even if I don't go back onto the same career path as I was on, I'll have a trade or useful skills at the end.

Caporegime
Wife? I'd ask her and see what she wants to do and go from there.

No wife? I'd buy a Honda Africa Twin, a load of supplies, and ride from London to Cape Town, raising some money for charity along the way.

Soldato
It does beg the question and one I stuggle to come up with a satisfactory answer myself. With all else being much the same bar the lockdown/Covid situation, paid your usual salary, with same bills etc. and your return to work months away. For me I'm torn between vegetating and just indulging in having nothing to do but converesley appreciate that may only satisfy me for a few weeks before the need for having something to get up in the morning for takes hold. Alternatively I could use it productively, take some short course or apply myself to a hobby or interest such as a van/camper conversion I have always fancied. Unfortunately, in the end I know I'd very likely just fritter the time away doing very little of note and feel awful for the wasted opportunity. Therefore...

Yes Ive been through the same thought process.

I started doing a free online Python course a month or so back, but haven't finished it yet. The problem is, once Ive done the course and 'learned' Python, well then what? Im hardly going to be able to have a career change at 40 and earn the same money, so what's the point?

I picked up the guitar again and started playing that, but same question arises.

I bought a VR headset and a steering wheel. Good fun but the novelty will wear off quick I think.

Back out on the mountain bike, was looking for upgrades for it, but spending money for the sake of spending money and it works fine as it is really.

I have noticed that whilst part of me feels lonely, my anxiety levels have dropped massively since being confined to quarters. The stresses of everyday life, the commute, trying to fit in all my hobbies and researching time, really takes its toll.

I looked into volunteering, but I really only want to work with animals not people, or maybe do some gardening, and the opportunities are so limited.

So its good and bad. If this was the rest of my life I'm not sure how I would feel about it really.

Soldato
Yes Ive been through the same thought process.

I picked up the guitar again and started playing that, but same question arises.

I bought a VR headset and a steering wheel. Good fun but the novelty will wear off quick I think.

isn’t guitar playing more of a hobby? I mean you could become really good at it and play to an advanced level. Or you can pick it up and strum some chords and put it down because whats the point init.

Soldato
I have still being working just working from home, and I spent lockdown building go karts and ******* about with making stuff as well as reading up to help try and get a new job. Spent a lot of lot of time cycling as well and home schooling kids!

Soldato
isn’t guitar playing more of a hobby? I mean you could become really good at it and play to an advanced level. Or you can pick it up and strum some chords and put it down because whats the point init.

Yeah sure - my point was more about finding something worthwhile to do - that is satisfying. That's what Im struggling with. I don't think being at home for another six months, or even forever, even if i won the lottery, would really change that?

Soldato
Yeah sure - my point was more about finding something worthwhile to do - that is satisfying. That's what Im struggling with. I don't think being at home for another six months, or even forever, even if i won the lottery, would really change that?

I suppose thats life though. Only you can quantify what you find to be worthwhile.

Soldato
This is the easiest question ever. I'd grab my passport, pack a bag, give my dog a big cuddle, my girlfriend a big kiss and head off East with the intention of getting to Hong Kong without getting on a plane.

My salary would easily cover my living expenses whilst out and about, as well as covering my bills back 'home'. And I'd be happy to dip into savings to do anything I'd want to do.

This looks like a promising route (ignoring visa constraints, and if it's actually possible!)

Glasgow - London - Brussels - Frankfurt - Munich - Prague - Budapest - Bucharest - Istanbul - Tbilisi - Yerevan - Baku - Tehran - Ashgabat - Samarkand - Tashkent - Bishkek - Almaty - Ulaan Baatar (no idea how I'm getting here!) - Beijing - Hong Kong

Associate
OP
I'm in that situation as I took voluntary redundancy at the end Feb, just in time to get locked down. I've spent it learning to be a sparky. Just waiting for the test centre to reopen so I can do my theory exams and then the required practical work.
So, even if I don't go back onto the same career path as I was on, I'll have a trade or useful skills at the end.

That's excellent and is why it is such a difficult but personal question to each of us. I would have likely done similar had I not been in infancy of current career opportunity which I very much hope is something I will do for rest of my working days. Conversely with Mrs etc you would have that tie to be here. Couldn't very well walk out and say see you in a few months whilst I went travelling if I was in that position. I would be in mind that I could maybe get myself to gym everyday and get fit etc. or as others above say I have so many things I think I would like to do but we always throw in our own meta obstacles such as 'asking what is the point?'. Maybe there doesn't have to be a point for some however it can be difficult to muster the motivation for others if they cannot factor that into their considerations.

I like the idea of learning a new language, I have a guitar but can't really play, I enjoy playing and repairing cars but I think that a great deal of what makes them appealing is that they are treats or steal-away times from everyday working life. Having that near unlimited choice for those 6 months diminishes a lot of our usual treat times and unless you have a huge passion or interest that you otherwise live for it is a very difficult question to answer for most of us since it is not something we are otherwise afforded, time to do what we want free of obligation.

Man of Honour
In all seriousness.. I am going to study cloud technology and Python, but probably more in the winter months. In the meantime I'm going to plan cycling or walking some of britains lost railways in the Uk, aspired by a TV programme I watched recently.

Soldato
Define "free 6 months". Free of work? Free of kids? Free of wife and kids? Combination? All? How much money to spend?

My lockdown has been spent home schooling children combined with working my normal IT job remotely. It's been exhausting and a complete contrast to how some have described it as practically paid holiday.

If I had a real 6 months "free" (without having come into a load of money) then I would probably just aim to get get my todo list done. I reckon 6 months might just be enough to complete it. :)

I haz 4090!
Don
I have noticed that whilst part of me feels lonely, my anxiety levels have dropped massively since being confined to quarters. The stresses of everyday life, the commute, trying to fit in all my hobbies and researching time, really takes its toll.

I've noticed the exact same thing. Bizarre isn't it?

Man of Honour
Pack a bag, grab my passport and see as much of the world as possible.

Probably go the opposite direction of Ahleckz, and go south until I hit South Africa, fly to Patagonia and then work my way North/NW

Soldato
I was made redundant at the end of last aug ,as i know you can walk into a job instantly down here ,i had an open ended holiday that in the end was 3 months ,so with part of this i did the camino de santiago (did the french way) basically a walk from the france across the Pyrenees and across Spain ,took about 31 days
did it what i think of as properly ,carrying your own rucksack (theres a big business of taxis who transport luggage between stages) staying at Albergues (hostels ,a lot part of a church ,sometimes sleeping on a mat on the floor with maybe 10 to 50 others,donation or sometimes 5 euros a night )
an amazing experience ,where you walk with strangers from all over the world or just on your own ,having to carry your possessions makes you really cut down to only what is important ,a great life lesson and a quick fitness boost ,body shaper especially using the sticks
and also, my god the women in Pamplona are so damn hot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Way

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1lNtYJflLKyUQzwBIbBie6C8Ij2E&ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&ll=42.71706714952725,-5.253706499999984&z=7

this video is a bit random ,theres loads on youtube

Last edited:
Soldato
If I had the chance, I'd like to spend time walking and fishing the rivers of Meirionnydd, where my late father, who was very keen fisherman, grew up. Just me and a bivvie, it would be bliss.

Back
Top Bottom