What would you say is the best value second hand iPhone right now?

Associate
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my iPhone X (only recently bought it, and the charging port isn't very reliable unfortunately) and wondering what the best value phone is? I was set on a Pro model for OLED (night browsing), but noticed that from the 12 onwards the regular versions have it too, so I'm currently thinking either an iPhone 11 Pro 256GB or an iPhone 12 128GB would be a good option? I really like the 14 Pro but for now it's out of my price range, ideally I don't want to spend any more than £300 but can stretch to £400 or so for the right phone. Thank you :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
A used 13 will push your top budget to about £450, but I think that would be worthwhile. It will give the longest support as it has the same chip as the iPhone 14.

Otherwise an iPhone 12 would be comfortably in budget.

Soldato
Given that the X isn't getting iOS 17, the 11 series has two years of updates left right? How long do you want to keep your phone for? Whatever you buy might need a new battery so you'll need to factor that in as well.

Associate
I bought a "good as new" iPhone 12 from Mozillion for £420 about 6 months ago as a temporary phone until the 15 comes out. Although I'm debating whether to keep hold of the 12. The 12 has 5G and magsafe which were the main draw for me. The chip is only 1 gen behind the 14 so not a massive benefit of upgrading.

Associate
OP
Thanks so much guys, lots of good options then :) The 12 does look great tbh, though I don't think I'd ever need the speed of 5G (honestly, I'm lucky just to get any internet at all here) the other features are nice. Good shout on support for the 11 likely ending in a couple of years... I'm very much a buy it and keep it until it practically dies kinda guy.

Also, great shout on de-fluffing the charging port - I haven't done that yet (will now) but right after I posted this a random vertical green line appeared on my screen! Not having much luck buying phones from Facebook Marketplace tbh... that's two duds now, might try a proper refurbished one.

Associate
OP
Any recommendations for a place to get a good second hand phone btw pls? Ideally I'd like to be able to return it if I have problems like I have (dodgy battery, dodgy screen etc)

Soldato
Thanks so much guys, lots of good options then :) The 12 does look great tbh, though I don't think I'd ever need the speed of 5G (honestly, I'm lucky just to get any internet at all here) the other features are nice.

I remember thinking that about 3g when I could happily get 80Mb/s, then when 4g became more common 3g just degraded to Edge speeds.

Associate
OP
Sorry to bump this but I’ve found a mint:

iPhone 14 Pro 128GB for £700
iPhone 13 Pro 128GB for £450
iPhone 12 Pro 128GB for £350

I’m tempted by the 12 since I’m quite dropsy and might smash it, and it would be less painful to break the cheap one. But also like the others for the 3x zoom and island

Associate
The 13 pro is my pick. Good phone, arguably better battery longevity (a lot of 14 pro owners suffering with fast battery health degradation) and you'll have the benefit of the 120hz display over the 12.

Associate
OP
The 13 pro is my pick. Good phone, arguably better battery longevity (a lot of 14 pro owners suffering with fast battery health degradation) and you'll have the benefit of the 120hz display over the 12.
Thank you! I'm definitely intrigued by the 120hz display, unfortunately the phone I saw earlier is a dud though :( Going to hold off and hope that prices of the 13 Pro drop a little and I can get a good one for ~£450.

Soldato
Sorry to bump this but I’ve found a mint:

iPhone 14 Pro 128GB for £700
iPhone 13 Pro 128GB for £450
iPhone 12 Pro 128GB for £350

I’m tempted by the 12 since I’m quite dropsy and might smash it, and it would be less painful to break the cheap one. But also like the others for the 3x zoom and island

I’d go for the 13 pro from this list

Back
Top Bottom