What you guys think of this spec?

Associate
Just want some input on the components selected, the machine has a budget of £1000 in this case.
Its a gaming machine, maybe used to overclock a little bit, or maybe not.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) - Retail
£283.95

Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
£59.95

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS3
£89.95

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
£264.95

Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 NCQ 80GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM
£31.95

OcUK Value Floppy Drive - Black
£5.95

NEC ND4570 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM
£24.95

Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940)
£15.95

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)
£3.49

Icemat Padsurferz
£3.55

Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU
£64.95

Subtotal £849.59
Shipping (City Link Parcel Next Day (Delivered Mon-Fri)) £10.95
VAT £150.60
Total £1,011.14

Feel free to change a whatever you want, or just some general opinion.
Thanks in advance guys. :)

Yeah its one of the better ones in the X2 range, along with the 3800, the 4400 has 1Mb cache per core where as the 3800 has 512Kb per core.
You can clock the 3800 to 4800 speeds pretty easy from what I have heard, but I was thinking of the extra cache for this machine hopefully to make it more future proof for a decent amount time at least.

I shall post here also i dont want to mess up your post mind you :P

Basically i have £1000-£1300 to spend on a GAMING computer i want the fastest most dirtyest comp i can find do u mind if u can write me a spec please as i dont rly know how to go about the insides of comps only know how to play them ;p

Thankyou in advance

tart123 said:
I shall post here also i dont want to mess up your post mind you :P

Basically i have £1000-£1300 to spend on a GAMING computer i want the fastest most dirtyest comp i can find do u mind if u can write me a spec please as i dont rly know how to go about the insides of comps only know how to play them ;p

Thankyou in advance

Why not use the one above? Maybe a bigger hdd and go nvidia and sli?

Thats not an SLI board.
The above spec will eventually have Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM added to it also.
And after a couple of months a new case and psu.

Looks ok but no need to get additional CPU cooler, mine is stock HPF clocked @2.5ghz and doesn't go over 40 degrees C. You can always get another later. Perhaps get a Zalman GFX cooler (later) Why a flopppy drive? Flashing is done in windows now. I would get a bigger HD also. Unsure of Hitachi (IBM Deathstar concerns) I have the same GFX card. Also think about SLI/Crossfire mobo. That mobo has wonky fan, get heatpipe version instead (Premium)

The spec above does look good, not sure why you need a floppy though? I got the MB & dvd, both excellent. Also the western digital drives are very good/quick reliable in my experience...

squiffy said:
Looks ok but no need to get additional CPU cooler, mine is stock HPF clocked @2.5ghz and doesn't go over 40 degrees C. You can always get another later. Perhaps get a Zalman GFX cooler (later) Why a flopppy drive? Flashing is done in windows now. I would get a bigger HD also. Unsure of Hitachi (IBM Deathstar concerns) I have the same GFX card. Also think about SLI/Crossfire mobo. That mobo has wonky fan, get heatpipe version instead (Premium)

Was not sure if the stock CPU cooler would be to loud or not, thats the only reason thats there.

I shall be changing the graphics card cooling along with the case and psu in a few months.

The HD I thought was ok as that will eventually be used just for windows, unless I change that to a raptor later on and replace both drives.

The MB well I did think the same thing as you regarding the fan, so I may change that for a Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
just did not want to waste money on an SLi board, but I guess it does not matter.

The floppy drive is a fiver it will make no difference being there or not. :)

Traducer said:
Just want some input on the components selected, the machine has a budget of £1000 in this case.
Its a gaming machine, maybe used to overclock a little bit, or maybe not.

I'd change the motherboard for the MSI Neo4 Ultra because it clocks a lot better than the Asus. Other than that it's about perfect for the money!

Back
Top Bottom