What's a good thermal paste these days?

Soldato
Looking at getting a 7950x when they launch tomorrow so starting to get things together in my basket ready to buy it all and I'm looking at thermal paste. I've seen the likes of this, is the price tag worth it or are there better for cheaper? I'll be using an EKB Elite AIO and may slightly overclock but more than likely will keep at stock. Thanks https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...formance-thermal-paste-33g-9ml-th-02j-tg.html

No idea why you'd need or want 33g of thermal paste, a 1.5ml/3.3g tube is plenty for several applications - especially not at that sort of price

Kryonaut also needs replacing fairly regularly as I understand - Kryonaut Extreme is probably even worst as is aimed at ultimate performance for LN2 etc at the expense of longevity.

Personally I'd look at Hydronaut as it's designed for long term use with Watercooling/AiO's to save having to replace it as often - it's still a high performing paste, but as already said there isn't a huge difference even between the best and worst pastes these days.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £40.50 (includes delivery: £3.48)​

Also going with Hydronaut on EK blocks, want long-term hassle-free performance.
Pretty sure that's what they supply with the latest blocks anyway?

I have been using Kryonaut, but it does seem to dry out after a while. Just bought a monster tube of Hydronaut, 26g I think, to see if that is longer lasting, I bought a large tube as friends often ask me to build or sort out problems with their PC's.

Last edited:
Recently I have tried Noctua NT-H2 and Arctic MX-5. I found them to both perform identically, and both do a pretty good job.

Last edited:
did not like hydronaught .used it on my 3700x and AIO and it was horrible to apply .Too dry and stiff,went to use some of what was left in the tube after 18 months the other day and it was even drier and stiff so binned it

I use a thermal pad… I only game so works out fine for my CPU. I have no messy paste to clean up and paste does not get in all the nooks and crannies.

But Noctua’s paste seems to be popular.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom