What's best 6mm or 8 mm shower door.

Associate
Hi, I was thinking of replacing my quadrant shower enclosures.
I can pick from a Merlin 8 series 900 quadrant shower enclosures with 8mm glass
or a Flair Verve enclosure with 6 mmm glass.
I've see the Merlin but have not seen the Flair yet, I will do in a few days time.
The sales person said, I can sell you either but his own personal opinion was that 8mm might be a bit heavy for the sliding door gear. He didn't see the need for 8mm himself. Well, he could be right.

Your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
Thanks Guys for all the good advice, 8mm it is then and sales did mention something about it being easy clean glass.
Thank you

I'm also thinking of getting 2 sheets of the Marine ply multi panel as well.

Thank you.

Associate
OP
I've fitted the M-Box and 6 series but this is the first 8 series for me so I'll let you know how good it is when finished.
If you're putting up multi panel on a stud wall then I like to fit some extra studs for the screen to fix to rather than relying on the multi panel.

Thanks. please do.
Yes your better having a stud to screw to other than depending on the panels itself.

I have half inch playwood on the walls and its tiled on top of that at the moment (almost 20yrs ago) I was going to remove the tiles from the ply, clean off what ever is left and get the surface smooth again. I was then going to fix the multi panel to the ply.

Have you fitter the marine ply multi panel (might go for the Stardust finish) before to the inside of a shower? Just I'm not comfortable with the thought of open ended ply sitting on top of a shower try.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Good luck with removing the tiles, they normally pull the face of the ply off as well but you may get lucky.

I've fitted the multi panel in showers and over baths etc. The important part is leaving a 2-3mm gap between the tray and the board, when you seal around the tray then make sure you get the silicone in this gap as far as possible. That's where the seal will be most effective.

Obviously make sure that the tray doesn't move when you stand in it, that'll pull the seal off the board pretty quickly.

Ok Thanks, I was thinking that about the tiles maybe pulling some ply off.

OK so leave the 2/3mm gap, I was wondering before you posted if I should bed the panel on a light bed of silicone but since you have done it many times and I haven't i'll go by what you suggested.
Any way to prevent mold gathering on the silicone?

What about the shower tray seal kit? your thoughts on this please?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
When I was in the show room yesterday sales also showed me a 900mm quad Flair Verve enclosure (6mm glass)
You know, it didn't look to bad either and the door open and closed very nice too, granted you would know it hadn't the weight of the 8mm glass.
The Verve door and tray is almost £200 cheaper than the Merlyn bundle, door and tray.

Any thoughts on the Flair Verve?

Thanks guys for you advice so far.

Associate
OP
Id make sure you get a proper solid shower tray (stone resin/similar) rather than worry about enclosures as much.

Hi Thanks, yes I need a tray as well, You right, you cant ignore a good tray. I'm asking about one of these too.

That's class, nice work, well done.

Back
Top Bottom