What's best 6mm or 8 mm shower door.

Associate
Hi, I was thinking of replacing my quadrant shower enclosures.
I can pick from a Merlin 8 series 900 quadrant shower enclosures with 8mm glass
or a Flair Verve enclosure with 6 mmm glass.
I've see the Merlin but have not seen the Flair yet, I will do in a few days time.
The sales person said, I can sell you either but his own personal opinion was that 8mm might be a bit heavy for the sliding door gear. He didn't see the need for 8mm himself. Well, he could be right.

Your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Associate
I'm in roughly the same boat and will probably just go for the thickest that is feasible. Feels a little nicer though will arguably wear out the rollers faster. They're cheap as chips to replace so I'm not too bothered.

See if you can have a fondle of the thicker one* and see if you prefer it.

*The door that is. What you do to the salesman is up to you.

Associate
I have a folding screen which is 6mm, and it feels pretty premium in itself (I couldn't find one in 8mm that was the size/style I wanted).
It still feels weighty & sturdy enough to feel like a decent screen, but I imagine 8mm would feel a little nicer. A thicker screen should mean it's harder to break too, although if you're potentially going to be breaking a 6mm sheet of tempered glass, you're doing something rather unusual in your shower!

I'd say, if you don't mind spending the extra, and your installation etc can accommodate 8mm, go with it.

Soldato
We've got an 8mm sliding enclosure in our en suite. As a piece of glass it's heavy but it's the screen that came with the enclosure so I assume the rollers are up to spec. It's been installed a couple of years and feels as good as new.

Associate
OP
Thanks Guys for all the good advice, 8mm it is then and sales did mention something about it being easy clean glass.
Thank you

I'm also thinking of getting 2 sheets of the Marine ply multi panel as well.

Thank you.

Associate
I'm fitting an 8 series Merlyn screen now, it's a 1000 quadrant and it is pretty heavy.

I've fitted the M-Box and 6 series but this is the first 8 series for me so I'll let you know how good it is when finished.
Going by their cheaper screens I expect this to be really good.

If you're putting up multi panel on a stud wall then I like to fit some extra studs for the screen to fix to rather than relying on the multi panel.

Associate
OP
I've fitted the M-Box and 6 series but this is the first 8 series for me so I'll let you know how good it is when finished.
If you're putting up multi panel on a stud wall then I like to fit some extra studs for the screen to fix to rather than relying on the multi panel.

Thanks. please do.
Yes your better having a stud to screw to other than depending on the panels itself.

I have half inch playwood on the walls and its tiled on top of that at the moment (almost 20yrs ago) I was going to remove the tiles from the ply, clean off what ever is left and get the surface smooth again. I was then going to fix the multi panel to the ply.

Have you fitter the marine ply multi panel (might go for the Stardust finish) before to the inside of a shower? Just I'm not comfortable with the thought of open ended ply sitting on top of a shower try.

Last edited:
Associate
Good luck with removing the tiles, they normally pull the face of the ply off as well but you may get lucky.

I've fitted the multi panel in showers and over baths etc. The important part is leaving a 2-3mm gap between the tray and the board, when you seal around the tray then make sure you get the silicone in this gap as far as possible. That's where the seal will be most effective.

Obviously make sure that the tray doesn't move when you stand in it, that'll pull the seal off the board pretty quickly.

Associate
OP
Good luck with removing the tiles, they normally pull the face of the ply off as well but you may get lucky.

I've fitted the multi panel in showers and over baths etc. The important part is leaving a 2-3mm gap between the tray and the board, when you seal around the tray then make sure you get the silicone in this gap as far as possible. That's where the seal will be most effective.

Obviously make sure that the tray doesn't move when you stand in it, that'll pull the seal off the board pretty quickly.

Ok Thanks, I was thinking that about the tiles maybe pulling some ply off.

OK so leave the 2/3mm gap, I was wondering before you posted if I should bed the panel on a light bed of silicone but since you have done it many times and I haven't i'll go by what you suggested.
Any way to prevent mold gathering on the silicone?

What about the shower tray seal kit? your thoughts on this please?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
I've never used one, when fitting the tray I put a bead of silicone on the wall first then push it onto that. Seal the top edge of the tray to the wall as well with a small bead and you're good.

Back
Top Bottom