What's best way to fit parts to wood builds?

Soldato
got an idea for a project, just debating how to get about it, only ever tried it once to try salavage the first and best laptop I've owned over the last 7 years and I didn't finish it and went in the scrapper lol, I just used longer screws to get a few millimetres of clearance, worked fine from what I tried of it, but I'm looking at desktop stuff for a longer term thing depending how the project goes lol, when I got the money together I will just be using the guts of an old hp/dell or separates of like upto 10 years old, whichever supports sata and pciex16, it's only for storage for my hard drives, so it doesn't need to be fancy, plus if it goes pair shape then no loss.

Associate
I've only built one wooden case and I cheated a bit and used an old lianli motherboard tray to hold the board and backplate.

But you can screw stand-off straight into the wood with the right sized pilot hole.

I would run an Earth wire from the psu case to one or more stand-off.

Small wood screws would work for the rest.

If your building something fancy you could use brass inserts pushed into the wood and normal screws.
That's how I'm doing it on my new case as I want it to last (and tapping threads into Acrylic is a pain)

Post a pic when you are done :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for reply.

I've got a few ideas in my head, but haven't put anything in to drawing for a more visual idea, what I have in mind I can utilise in like 3 different ways, but I need to wait to get paid before I can buy anything and don't have too much time so it's going to be a slow project, I need to get a computer I intend to use so I can mark out the parts make sure what I'm thinking will be possible for a long run.

That's how I fitted my laptop mobo to a piece of wood, I manually screwed spare desktop stand offs in all areas of the boards where there's an hole and screwed in that way, wasn't properly sturdy as it could've been though as I rushed it, but laptop use lighter parts, but if I need metal for the power supply then I will do just that or maybe use valcro? It's going to stay flat so I could probably get away with it.

Associate
If you're going to go motherboard straight onto back board - try some drive in threaded bushings for the stand offs to go into, you can use a pilot hole and go straight in but the threads aren't really suited for wood on the majority. Joins you could either with dowels or pocket hole joint (nice and soild and can get jigs for them) if you want to do something abit different; a finger joint with adhesive. Personally prefer pocket hole joints for their ease and general tidiness though.

Back
Top Bottom