Whats happened to the 165hz IPS monitors?

Soldato
I've been looking for over a month now for new stock of either the Acer Predator XB271H or ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q. I dont know whats going on, literally no stores have had any in stock the only one's available are from Italy or elsewhere.

Was the technology just too soon, and they've canned and discontinued them? Do they just not like the UK or something. Its weird because I would like to buy one, preferably with less glow and the fixed firmware.

Associate
Acer/ASUS may still have them available, but from my (limited) knowledge retailers are not terribly happy with them - since they generated very high return rate due to plethora of quality issues and Acer/ASUS not willing to officially accept them as actual issues.
That caused many retailers to picking the slack for manufacturer while also having to deal with frustrated buyers...

Basic (common) scenario was:
(Buyer): - I am not happy with monitor I've bought from you, it has this terrible light bleed
(Shop): - We are sorry about that, you are entitled to return under DSR/our return policy. We will try our best to keep your custom.
(Shop): - Manufacturer, we have several defective screens for you
(Manufacturer): - They are not defective, but entirely within specifications - we advise you read them carefully
(Shop): - Ok, we are screwed now, have to get rid of these bad screens somehow and bear a loss :( But we are not stocking them again.

Last edited:
Associate
tHAT PRETTY MUCH APPLIES TO EVERY MONITOR YOU CAN BUY NOW :(
Yes, but some are worse than others, and these 1440p IPS 27-inchers were particularly notorious. And their profit margin was not particularly high since they quite cheaper than highest-end siblings.

is there any chance that they are clearing stock for some newer models coming in the next few weeks (months)?
There is always a chance, but not much, since we haven't heard anything majorly new announced in this (27" 1440p IPS high-refresh) segment. In a (half)year, maybe - but it will make no sense for vendor to "clear stock" half year in advance...

Associate
Isn't there a general shortage of G-Sync stuff a the moment? I can't imagine them not selling them for QA issues. Not their style.
"their" - whose? Again, manufacturers would happily supply them (in bulk), but they are not selling them directly.
And retailers are understandingly careful since its them who will have to deal with QC issues firsthand. It *does* hurt them, but, sadly, it does not translate to manufacturer *directly*. Not until mfrs notice reduced bulk sales - and this will take quite a time (by which they usually bring new models to market anyway).

Associate
Those that are selling a lot less units than these 27" models yes.

I'm sure Gibbo stated the return rate was not as bad on these as people suspected and I don't think OCUK would stop selling them or Acer and Asus would stop supplying them.

Either way maybe Gibbo can throw some light.

Associate
Don't expect retailer to issue a written statement that something is bad with particular line... It gives no advantage to anybody and could end in unnecessary trouble. (and yes, even forum post by official rep counts as written statement nowadays - can't erase anything from internet).

Soldato
OP
There are quite a lot of different-sized monitors which use same G-sync module and still readily available (e.g. 21:9 ultrawides).

Well if this goes on for much longer I may buy one of them(maybe that's their plan). But I'd prefer these monitors due to their superior response times and latency's.

Overclockers and other stores have even had ETA's, which have gone and passed and then been deleted, so they must be getting contacted by them.

Associate
I am thinking about getting a ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q as well, I was hoping as they are out of stock they are getting a new batch of better quality monitors in their next delivery, Especially with the Swift that it has had the firmware update that has been mentioned
Perhaps someone from Overclockers could let us know please

Last edited:
Associate
I also want to get the PG279Q but no stock anywhere, looking at some of the issues/reviews I've seen I hope you guys will get brand new stock soon or is there another similar spec/newer Asus monitor due to come out soon? Might be worth waiting I don't know :(

Was undecided between the PG279Q and the 21:9 1440p beasts but I'd much rather have 165hz > 100hz

Back
Top Bottom