What's in a name? (Hopkins vs Willoughby)

Soldato
OP
2z6e36e.jpg

Man of Honour
To be fair she has a point - there are too many chavvy names/parents out there. :D :D

However she's just being sensationalist. She's myopic, ignorant, and frankly in a different world to 99.9% of people.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To be fair she has a point - there are too many chavvy names/parents out there.

She would have a point if she was talking about how a child's name could affect their lives generally and how other kids might perceive them. However her actual 'point' was that it is right for parents to judge other people's children by their names to the point of dictating whom her children can and can't play with based purely on their moniker. Which is just stupid.

What made me laugh was when she kept defending her prejudice because it's just a "short cut". I mean, just exactly how busy is this woman that she doesn't even have time to meet her kids' friends and has to resort to a name checking system?

Permabanned
Did she not say she hated geographical names, and someone pointed out her daughter is called India?

A foolish woman who is just seeking attention.

Soldato
There's a chapter in Freakonomics which discusses the impact of a name. It suggests that the name reflects the wealth and class of the parent, thus effecting the school and neighbourhood said child grows up in how much better a shot that they have at wealth and social status.

Soldato
Actually, I've done statistical analysis on large data-sets & have found a number of strong correlations between just first name & a number of factors.

Age, socio-economic class, propensity to get into debt, employment status, product selection, tenure & a whole host of other dimensions.

Not that I'd use them in real life mind, but if I got a message from somebody called say.. "Kayleigh" I could guess reasonably accurately (much better than random) the location, age & socio-economic class.

Obviously we don't look for this kind of thing specifically, but when creating predictive models it spits out these things amongst the rule-sets (we then filter out the ones we should not use on ethical discriminatory grounds).

Ironically, the better social mobility is within an area, the less use name is to predict these variables (when say comparing UK, Wales, Scotland) - in a great society with perfect social mobility it would be useless.

Last edited:
Associate
I believe there was a guy who did a social experiment with his own children no less in which he named one child Winner and one child Loser.

What actually ended up happening is the child called Loser went on to be more sucesful apparently due to trying harder although to be honesty I don't believe the correlation.

Permabanned
Actually, I've done statistical analysis on large data-sets & have found a number of strong correlations between just first name & a number of factors.

Age, socio-economic class, propensity to get into debt, employment status, product selection, tenure & a whole host of other dimensions.

Not that I'd use them in real life mind, but if I got a message from somebody called say.. "Kayleigh" I could guess reasonably accurately (much better than random) the location, age & socio-economic class.

Obviously we don't look for this kind of thing specifically, but when creating predictive models it spits out these things amongst the rule-sets (we then filter out the ones we should not use on ethical discriminatory grounds).

Ironically, the better social mobility is within an area, the less use name is to predict these variables (when say comparing UK, Wales, Scotland) - in a great society with perfect social mobility it would be useless.

I'd be interested to know what some of the names in my clan suggest :p

Back
Top Bottom