whats likely to fail first, processor or motherboard with a 775?

Soldato
so my brother gave me his old q6600 system as hes upgraded, he upgraded mainly because the computer started to develop a fault that could lead to the motherboard failing and so i have been trying to see if i could resolve it and getting nowhere.

basically its running, but no visual, 4x2gb ram that it has have been individually tested, graphics card which was a gt610(he kept his gaming gpu) which from testing in my ryzen builds can be marked off as dead, i even tried both gpu slots on the board, i even tried my gtx 950 and gt 710 and same thing, he had a noctua tower cooler thats tall with 2 fans, think its a U12 or something which i replaced with my low profile mars cooler for testings and nothing, i even took the quad out and replaced with a spare dual core he provided and still nothing.

the main parts of this system are.

q6600 or core2duo
Asus P5N-D atx board
8gb ddr2 (2x 1 brand 2 x another)
Corsair TX750

amongst the odd usb cards, this is all housed inside the HAF tower.

ive taken the cards out and disconnected any fans, but prior to removing and swapping things i used my integrator 500w bronze psu and the same thing, power but nothing.

there are no bent pins on the socket that i can see and no hard drives have been connected.

this case is too big, but it has enough space for my storage drives, so would like to re-use it however i want to see if this old system can be saved before i shell out on a new central set of components.

edit : oh and i get no sounds, dont think theres a speaker, but you have to hold the power button to turn off, so no sudden shutoffs.

Soldato
OP
Motherboard is always more likely to fail. More bits to go wrong and far less rigorously tested, CPUs are more or less bulletproof

okay thanks for that.

would you know why the board gets power and runs, but no visual even after all the possible causes? i thought a resolution might be a fault as he uses higher than i do, but that wasnt the case either.

Back
Top Bottom