What's my options?

Soldato
Hi all

Some of you may know from commenting on my other posts across the forum, I'm starting a new build,

It's a budget build to start off but will upgrade parts over the months to make it top notch,

Me and the missus play Resident Evil biohazard on the XBOX One a lot and I was thinking, when I get my build done I could get a VR setup, is there minimum requirements to run VR and also is there a VR that's not to expensive incase we don't use it as much as we think we may

Thanks

Associate
is there minimum requirements to run VR and also is there a VR that's not to expensive incase we don't use it as much as we think we may
Minimum spec is pretty much the same for the Vive and the Rift I believe - i5-4590/FX 8350 or better with a GTX 1060/RX 480 or better and minimum 8GB RAM.

Unfortunately there is no cheap route with PC as both the Vive and the Rift cost ~ £700 on their own (maybe DK2 is an option but no idea what the support is like now?). PlayStation VR would usually be the cheapest route to proper VR but maybe not if you are building a gaming PC anyway. There is also bound to be some sort of VR coming for the Xbox but it has not been officially announced yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a budget build to start off but will upgrade parts over the months to make it top notch,

Me and the missus play Resident Evil biohazard on the XBOX One a lot

I'd say you need to put more thought into the cost requirements of VR. Based on your level of gaming I'd say don't bother, and thats not having a go its a case of not spending potentially £1500 on something you wont use.

Soldato
OP
I'd say you need to put more thought into the cost requirements of VR. Based on your level of gaming I'd say don't bother, and thats not having a go its a case of not spending potentially £1500 on something you wont use.

Thats ok, i understand where you coming from bud, i was just getting more information and input from you guys before planning on getting one but now it seems right that i stay away from VR...

Associate
That's a shame:( you don't know what your missing .

I know what you mean, but I think he's made the right decision. I've dropped loads of cash into VR as I was convinced about Elite Dangerous. But, if it's something you are uncertain about or you just want to dabble in it, then the costs aren't worth the risk of you never using it...

Last edited:
Associate
I know what you mean, but I think he's made the right decision. I've dropped loads of cash into VR as I was convinced about Elite Dangerous. But, if it's something you are uncertain about or you just want to dabble in it, then the costs aren't worth the risk of you never using it...
I know, but a good cheap start would be a gear vr or similar, I started with a s5 and a plastic Google cardboard thingie, then a dk2 ,but iwas amazed at how good the gear vr was .
But you can get sacked in and throw a heap of cash into vr .

Associate
It's only really epic for cockpit games likes space and race sims, other stuff just hasn't been well developed or thought out properly yet...I'm sure that there will be the lightbulb moment, and a game will appear that completely showcases the best of vr...I just don't think it's happened yet for room scale. Project Cars and Assetto Corsa are fantastic in VR, haven't done many space sims but I've read that Elite Dangerous and Eve are pretty good.

It's too early to try it out as a casual gamer, but if you're a sim fan get in there.

Associate
It's only really epic for cockpit games likes space and race sims, other stuff just hasn't been well developed or thought out properly yet...I'm sure that there will be the lightbulb moment, and a game will appear that completely showcases the best of vr...I just don't think it's happened yet for room scale. Project Cars and Assetto Corsa are fantastic in VR, haven't done many space sims but I've read that Elite Dangerous and Eve are pretty good.

It's too early to try it out as a casual gamer, but if you're a sim fan get in there.

That's pretty spot on. I got VR for Elite Dangerous. All the room scale stuff I've tried has been more like a proof of concept rather than a proper game.

Soldato
Nope thats it, it comes with everything you need:D. But I would get some screen protectors if you decide to buy the dk2, because the lenses are stupidly sensitive to scratches. I have only had the dk2 a week and the lenses are covered with scratches.. You need 40mm in size btw

Soldato
OP
Nope thats it, it comes with everything you need:D. But I would get some screen protectors if you decide to buy the dk2, because the lenses are stupidly sensitive to scratches. I have only had the dk2 a week and the lenses are covered with scratches.. You need 40mm in size btw

That's brilliant mate I am so interested now it's in my price range, I will look at protectors to

Associate
There are reasonable finance options around VR with compatible PCs too. If you can't afford the outlay in one month, perhaps spreading the cost makes it more affordable, and leaves some cash for extra games to play.

Back
Top Bottom