What's the best way of keeping mice away from my car when it's unused?

Soldato
What's the best way of keeping mice away from my car when it's unused and simply sat on the drive.

I've got an ST220 which I don't use over the winter months, however last year I had an issue where my brake fluid reservoir cap got chewed by mice along with the corner of my airbox.

I got in it 2 weeks ago to do my weekly move it about & warm it up routine & noticed a mouse dropping on the carpet. I of course set up mouse traps & i've since killed 4 of the little ******* in the last 10 days.

Anyone else had rodent issues? What's the best solution?

These appear to be field mice, our garden backs onto fields & the hedgerows are full of them so there is a never ending supply, I just want them away from my car.

Soldato
OP
Ok, I need to repel the mice, the car is on the driveway, I can't simply put traps out nearby as I live next to several thousand acres of farm land, there are probably more mice out there than there are people in the UK, last time I put traps in the garage they were full every morning for about 2 months straight. I killed about 200 mice & they kept coming.

I have mousetraps in the car, I need to somehow stop them having a go at the car in the first place before they cause some damage.

Soldato
OP
I'll give the scented tumble dryer sheets a go. Can't get cats as we already have dogs & whilst there is farmland on one side of the property the driveway is next to the A60, there is often dead cats on it so not ideal.

Soldato
OP
Horrible things, i'm going to rip the centre console out at the weekend to try & figure out where they are getting in, I despatched number 6 last night. Pretty sure they are coming in either down the footwell vent which means they must have eaten the cabin filter or from around the gearstick/handbrake.

I filled the car with drier sheets last night too as another poster suggested, will report back in a few days.

Soldato
OP
Theyd still get in theyre boody ninjas!

@Iamzod
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000YPTFRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This did an amazing job for us, put a small amount of bird seed in it, chocolate and peanut butter can also be very popular
just remember to empty it

Nowt worse that poison for mice, theyll scurry off somewhere and die in the most inconvenient place, make a nasty stench too.
Theres also the risk of other animals eating them and becoming very ill, its a rather unhumane slow painfull death :(

Interesting, might invest in one of those, although I have to report that after stuffing an entire box of tumble drier sheets under the seats & a couple in each air vent i've not had any mice enter the car.

Soldato
OP
spread a few of those tumble dryer scented sheets around, its works for our motorhome

I'm actually amazed to say this seems to be working, they seem to have stopped entering the cabin at least.

I think my engine bay wiring is pretty safe, there is 18 years worth of gunk covering most of the loom, i bet mice don't like a mouthful of old engine oil & road dirt.

Back
Top Bottom