What's the best way of keeping mice away from my car when it's unused?

Soldato
So I found the cause of my alarm going off every night. I suspected it was a mouse after I found my water bottle chewed one morning. No idea how it got inside the car but it probably liked the warm battery.

51703893128_7ae09a34f4_b.jpg

Soldato
OP
Horrible things, i'm going to rip the centre console out at the weekend to try & figure out where they are getting in, I despatched number 6 last night. Pretty sure they are coming in either down the footwell vent which means they must have eaten the cabin filter or from around the gearstick/handbrake.

I filled the car with drier sheets last night too as another poster suggested, will report back in a few days.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Put the car up on jacks so the mice can't get to it :)

Theyd still get in theyre boody ninjas!

@Iamzod
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000YPTFRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This did an amazing job for us, put a small amount of bird seed in it, chocolate and peanut butter can also be very popular
just remember to empty it

Nowt worse that poison for mice, theyll scurry off somewhere and die in the most inconvenient place, make a nasty stench too.
Theres also the risk of other animals eating them and becoming very ill, its a rather unhumane slow painfull death :(

Soldato
OP
Theyd still get in theyre boody ninjas!

@Iamzod
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000YPTFRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This did an amazing job for us, put a small amount of bird seed in it, chocolate and peanut butter can also be very popular
just remember to empty it

Nowt worse that poison for mice, theyll scurry off somewhere and die in the most inconvenient place, make a nasty stench too.
Theres also the risk of other animals eating them and becoming very ill, its a rather unhumane slow painfull death :(

Interesting, might invest in one of those, although I have to report that after stuffing an entire box of tumble drier sheets under the seats & a couple in each air vent i've not had any mice enter the car.

Man of Honour
Mice are a real problem for me and have already caused damage to neighbours cars. I have traps, poison pellets and frag grenades to be sure.

Soldato
OP
spread a few of those tumble dryer scented sheets around, its works for our motorhome

I'm actually amazed to say this seems to be working, they seem to have stopped entering the cabin at least.

I think my engine bay wiring is pretty safe, there is 18 years worth of gunk covering most of the loom, i bet mice don't like a mouthful of old engine oil & road dirt.

Soldato
What about making custom covers to physically block the mice from entering? The mice are likely to be getting in through the engine bay, so could you fabricate a custom mouse block that can be rolled under the car? E.g. made out of plastic or something? Otherwise there are companies that make car covers, and maybe they could make one of mouse proof material that goes under the car.

I am not a mouse expert, but maybe they have to climb up via the tyres. In this case, you could make a device that you can put around the tyres, that it is impossible for the mouse to climb up.

Soldato
Another suggestion is if you bought some model cats and left them lit up at night around your car, this might put the mice off, but your neighbours might think you've gone crazy!

Soldato
Another idea would be a mouse-proof fence around the car. This would be a vertical perimeter around the car, made of a slippy plastic that the mice can't climb up. It would be something you could set up temporarily around the car, but wind might be a problem, so you'd have to have it weighed down.

Back
Top Bottom