What's the better life experience? Track & mod my daily or buy a new car?

Soldato
If you've not done (m)any track days before, it's pretty much a certainty that you'll be the limiting factor and not the car.

Get an MX5, learn to drive that at the absolute limit and then get a faster car, or make the MX5 faster, when you've outgrown it.

Fast road and track driving are, or should be, very different disciplines IMO.

Soldato
Yep, a fast car without an experienced driver will be slow. It's maintaining speed in the corners that matters most on a track and that takes a lot of skill to pull off to perfection (well and a car that corners well, like an MX-5). Horse power won't make up the difference and you won't learn much just booting it on the straights in a 300+hp car.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dunno, I did pretty alright in the r8 V10+:D now I see why they are called supercars, turf them into a corner and grip is just unreal.

How well does the mx5 motor keep up once supercharged. I do like the vx220 amazing how they hold value then again they are a more poerrfpo lotus elise!

Soldato
I would say a lotus or vx220 will be better than an mx5. You are going on track, not hair dressing.

Plus if you get a lotus I'm sure turbo toaster will be happy to give you tips on how to make it go faster.

Man of Honour
Dunno, I did pretty alright in the r8 V10+:D now I see why they are called supercars, turf them into a corner and grip is just unreal.

How well does the mx5 motor keep up once supercharged. I do like the vx220 amazing how they hold value then again they are a more poerrfpo lotus elise!

Well as I have an MX5, and MX5 race car and a V10+ all of which I have taken on track I can perhaps comment....

Buy an MX5, get it set up for track and focus on lap times if that is what's interesting to you. Learn how to track drive, learn how to string together consistent laps in something that if you bend won't cost and arm and a leg. Once you get track comfy it's amazing how quick you will make the V10+ go next time but I will tell you one thing. If you have little to no track experience, you were not close to the pace of the R8 and you'll be amazed how quick it can go when you know what you're doing but until then an MX5 is more than quick enough for most and more fun that most too. :)

Soldato
I wouldn't use a daily as a track car, at least not one that's driven on track at 8/10+. Soon end up worn and expensive to replace parts. It's not exactly cheap in something very basic. A decent mx5 is fun so I'd imagine a well setup track focused one even more so.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't use a daily as a track car, at least not one that's driven on track at 8/10+. Soon end up worn and expensive to replace parts. It's not exactly cheap in something very basic. A decent mx5 is fun so I'd imagine a well setup track focused one even more so.

It is cheaper to go racing an MX5 than to do a season (say 20 a year) track days in an expensive performance car, assuming you don't bend it and racing is MILES more fun than even the very best track day.

Soldato
It is cheaper to go racing an MX5 than to do a season (say 20 a year) track days in an expensive performance car, assuming you don't bend it and racing is MILES more fun than even the very best track day.

I'm sure a well setup one on track tyres with uprated brakes upsets a lot more expensive cars on the twisty stuff. There can't be any older model even close to 1200kg even with a hardtop and AC I'd imagine.

Caporegime
The issue with modding your daily is the better track car you modify it to be, the worse daily and road car it becomes. Stiffening the suspension ruins the ride. Replacing the seat becomes a pain when stuck in traffic. Road noise gives you a headache when you strip out insulation, the exhaust booms and drones like crazy and the brakes are squeaky and grabby on the road etc. Buy a dedicated track car.

Soldato

It's an extreme example, but on a track day last year on a short track that suits the MX5, I was overtaking an R8...

Mines 198 at the wheels with coilovers and he was driving like he didn't want to break his expensive car while I was wringing the neck of mine.

Obviously if the R8 were being driven at 10/10 as well he would have killed me, but it reinforces the point that you're best off with a car you're not scared to put in the barriers and drive it to its potential, and occasionally beyond....

Soldato
Agreed. First time around you definitely want to be driving something you feel 100% comfortable in.... You don't have to be driving the fast thing in the world to enjoy yourself on track.

During my last trackday I was being held up by someone in a Fiat Panda.... Annoyed the hell out of me. But I bet the driver was having the time of their life lol

Soldato
FamousShadyIvorybilledwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

:D

Soldato
I really like having a 2nd car that I can tinker with, and if I need to take it off the road to do something that will take days/weeks - it's not a problem. I can't wait till the winter so I can take all the suspension off and clean/refresh it all :p

Back
Top Bottom