What's the disadvantage of Schwables Plus tyre protection?

Permabanned
and why don't they just put it on all tyres as standard...well the popular ones anyway.

So if we want some sort of puncture protection we are stuck with 3 choices, Marathon being the top level bomb proof level but gives a hard ride and slippy in the wet, Smart Sam Plus 3mm vs 5mm protection compared to the Marathon and not bomb proof, I don't know how these perform and Racing Ralph K guard.

Why doesn't Schwalbe just over the 5mm protection on all models?

Soldato
Are punctures really that much of a problem? Granted I don't commute but ride similar if not more mileage 'recreationally' than those that do and can count the number of punctures annually on one hand.

The tyres I use are designed for speed & handling (Corsa G+ or GP4000Sii) with puncture protection being good but not their main aim.

Perhaps I just tend to avoid riding in the gutter unless absolutely necessary. Am I just fortunate?

Soldato
Perhaps I just tend to avoid riding in the gutter unless absolutely necessary. Am I just fortunate?

I rarely get punctures on "normal" road rides but commuting through Central London can be a different story. The morning after Storm Ali hit there was so much crap on the roads I got 2 punctures on my 5 mile commute. Front tube hit a drawing pin and the rear hit some other random bit of metal shrapnel.:mad:

I've now converted my commuter to tubeless so I'll see what happens.

To answer @Reality|Bites, the ride quality of tyres with heavy puncture protection is noticeably abysmal to me. You can feel the extra Watts being sucked out of you! It's always a trade-off between rolling resistance and puncture protection. You can't have both.

Soldato
Gatorskins will feel better than Marathons, nowhere near as heavy. Just as slippy in the wet. The Hardshells even more so. Loads more protection and feel more comfortable than the Schwalbe, if that's what you're after?

Last couple of winters I've ridden Specialized Roubaix Pro. I've had 1 puncture on them in ~3000/4000 miles. The wear on them they'd probably do another 2 winters... For tyres costing <£30 they're amazing! Although they're quite heavy, they're not as heavy as a Marathon.

I previously rode Mitchelin Pro4 Endurance and Continental GP 4Seasons. I'd rate the Roubaix Pro as far tougher, wearing far better, much better grip than the P4E and equal to the GP4S.

I've ridden Conti GP 4000 sii all summer (1500-2000 miles) and only had my first puncture last week (due to thorns from a cut hedgerow).

Soldato
I was going to reply with a road style reply but it seems that the OP was asking more about mountain bikes.

A 25mm Marathon plus is about 3 times the weight of a 25mm gp4000s ii.

The Schwalbe Durano/plus/double defence are more of a road tread with puncture protection.

So happy to be back on Gp4000s as the Vittoria Corsa seemed deadly in the wet.

Back
Top Bottom