What’s the longest non-stop flight you’ve taken - distance or time?

Soldato
Worst flight?

Cuzco - > Lima - > Miami - > New York - > London

Pretty grim anyway but I terrible food poisoning and spent the whole 8hr stop in Lima ejecting explosive diarrhea every 20 minutes.

Are three quarter pounders with cheese and managed to plug myself up before I got on the next flight.

Don
Madrid to Santiago - 13.5hours it seems.

20 years ago, was hell, pretty sure the inflight entertainment was goosed, or was only in Spanish and I've never been able to sleep on a plane.

Soldato
Since we can’t fly over Russia anymore the S. Korea to Heathrow flight is just shy of 15 hours now. I try to take a night flight so I can sleep for part of it. Otherwise I’m watching movies, playing the switch and drinking the bar :D

Soldato
Manchester to Hong Kong, hit some absolutely horrific turbulence over Mongolia I think it was. Naturally, just as food had been put down. All the FA's had to go and sit down and buckle up.

Soldato
Just over 8 hours - Heathrow - Chicago.

I was starting to get flustered when we were landing.

Want to visit Australia and NZ but the flight is 3 times as long as my longest flight. I cannot sleep on flights - unless someone will pay me for one of those first class bed seat/cabins.

Any tips will be great

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Did you get a tour of the flight deck? Maybe not in the late seventies, i was allowed to sit in the flight engineers seat briefly.

I am intrigued by the last statement. ;)

God I remember those days, on holiday with the folks to Jersey as a whipper snapper, up on the flight deck and actually turning the plane with some dial in the middle.

Soldato
Did you get a tour of the flight deck? Maybe not in the late seventies, i was allowed to sit in the flight engineers seat briefly.

Used to go into the cockpit quite a lot in late nineties when flying KLM to and from Abu Dhabi from Amsterdam. I had a “pilots log book” which the captain would sign and give me a badge. I’ve ‘flown’ a 747 before - at least, sat in the seat and moved the stick!
I think it was mostly my dad wanting to go for a nosey so he’d drag me along as cover.

Soldato
Amsterdam to Tokyo about 13hrs. Closely followed by Amsterdam to Guangzhou, which then in involved a flight to Beijing, followed by a train to Nanjing - was like the nodding Churchill dog at this point, exhausted.

Not sure I could stay sane for over 13 hours, not unless I was living the dream in business/first class.

Last edited:
Soldato
Once did Heathrow to Hong Kong on jump seats on a Virgin A340. I say jump seats because for take off I was sat in the rear galley with all the catering carts. For landing I was next to the first class emergency exit.

All these primadonnas with their business class seats :rolleyes::D

Associate
I did Hong Kong to Paris once which was around 12.5 hours however it was an overnight flight and I slept the whole way due to being severely jet lagged and hungover (had only been in China/HK for a week so hadn’t adjusted)

I’ve done plenty of long haul flights but usually with a stop somewhere along the way meaning the longest leg is usually 8-9 hours.

I’ve pondered recently if I was to go to Australia whether I’d rather do the London to Perth flight direct and get it out of the way or stop off somewhere in Asia on the way, still haven’t made up my mind

Soldato

I did get the tour and answered “no” to “have you ever seem a grown man naked?” :D

I believe the second flight was a “private governmental charter with grey paint” and the reason is why you might be expecting. “Unofficial” advice was to get to the airport early as it could be the last flight for a while. There was in fact another one a few weeks later but that was a Hercules/private jet or the like (cannot remember) that my Dad managed to get on and surprise us for christmas!

Last edited:
Associate
Just over 8 hours - Heathrow - Chicago.

I was starting to get flustered when we were landing.

Want to visit Australia and NZ but the flight is 3 times as long as my longest flight. I cannot sleep on flights - unless someone will pay me for one of those first class bed seat/cabins.

Any tips will be great

If that worries you break it up, you could fly UK > Dubai > somewhere in Asia > Aus, keeps the flights a bit more manageable and get to check out some places in between but it depends on how much time you have obviously

Soldato
I done a lot in my frequent travel days. LHR to Manila, LHR to Perth. Non-stop.
Awful flights no matter how comfortable you are in business, and especially bad in economy (when I was paying!).

Last edited:
Associate
Heathrow - Hong Kong - Melbourne - Brisbane - Hamilton Island was pretty rough. Had to wait a couple of hours for a ferry as well on arrival. Pretty much passed out after a single pint when we finally got to the hotel we were staying at.

Back
Top Bottom