Whats the point of the NHS?

Soldato
Does that cover all eventualities though? The advantage of the nhs is theres no arguing over who has to pay what. Insurance companies will do their utmost to get out of paying. Inherit problem there.

Caporegime
Does that cover all eventualities though? The advantage of the nhs is theres no arguing over who has to pay what. Insurance companies will do their utmost to get out of paying. Inherit problem there.

That covers everything medical by law, plus vision including glasses/contact lenses. It won't cover unnecessary cosmetic surgery like tummy tucks for the OP.

Caporegime
Brilliant :) Is there an excess or limit like with normal insurance policies?

There are different types of insurance. There is a low deductible insurance which is more expensive but you pay very little excess nothings like doctors visits. My wife is exciting and she is on this type of medical insurance - the entire process from initial check ups to birth, to follow ups will cost her around $50 out of pocket.

There are also high deductible health insurance plans that are cheaper like mine. I have in theory $2000 per year deductible, I.e. any medical expenses beyond preventive care and check ups I would pay until the $2000 mark. However, as is typically the case with a high deductible plan my employer pays me $2000 a year into a high deductible health savings account (HSA). HSA contributions are tax free and can be used to cover any excess/deductibles, and any outstanding medical costs, as well as things like contact lens solution, condoms, tooth paste.
The end result is I don't pay a penny and I have thousands of dollars in a savings account I can use for anything vaguely medical. The savings account will belong to me even after I leave the company.

A vast majority of Americans have access to better health care than the NHS for far less personal cost. The real issue, and it is a big one, is the poor and long term unemployed that aren't provided with a company health insurance. Even then, Medicare and Medicaid covers health insurance for elderly, disabled, destitute etc. The issue is those people that earn just enough above the poverty line such that they aren't eligible for state social care but their employer doesn't provide them with insurance.

Soldato
I really wouldn't know, I've only experienced the NHS

He puts it like this:

UK

Everyone - Average healthcare

USA

Poor Income - Poor or no healthcare
Average Income - Great healthcare
High Income - Awesome healthare

Not really as you can work for the county\gov and get free health care but only be on $10 a hour.

Soldato
My employer pays health insurance costs of $350 per a month for me, I don't have to pay anything.

Suddenly the NHS doesn't seem to great a deal!

Ranking by quality of healthcare: UK 18th, US 37th

Average amount spent per capita: UK $3,609, US $8,608

Suddenly it does again.

Caporegime
American healthcare is good, but it is horrendously overpriced.

Even wealthy families can be put in deep financial trouble through paying excesses on insurance policies, and it will take a much larger chunk of your salary to pay insurance over your working life and indeed retirement (which is very expensive and unaffordable for a lot of US citzens).

In the UK people are welcome to use private healthcare, but there is the NHS for people who cannot. It's a much better system, people don't die because they simply can't afford to go to a doctor about their health problems.

That is not really true. If you have health insurance you wont get into financial difficulty, especially if you are wealthy as you are likely to almost no excess at all, or the excess is paid for by your employer.

You don't seem to understand the US system, most people don't pay for their health insurance, their employer does. Which is different to the UK where most people pay the 12% NI AND the employer also pays NI. For your average person it will work out much cheaper in the US.

Soldato
I'm all for the NHS and how its free and is a wonderful service however I don't agree with the inconsistencies in what illnesses qualify for exemption from paying for a prescription.

For example, my Father is diabetic and has been for the majority of his life and as such as such needs medication etc for the rest of his life, he doesn't have to pay for any of his prescriptions for insulin, test strips, needles etc.

My girlfriend however has just been diagnosed with Crohn's disease, something which again isn't curable and she will need to be on medication for the rest of her life however she has to pay a prescription for her medication.

Both instances the patient needs to be on medication for the rest of their life yet one has to pay and the other doesn't.

How is that fair?

Caporegime
Ranking by quality of healthcare: UK 18th, US 37th

Average amount spent per capita: UK $3,609, US $8,608

Suddenly it does again.

But what is this health care ranking? This sounds like one of the health index ranks that uses some arbitrary weighted objective function to form some meaningless ranking. Huge numbers of Americans are vastly overweight, suffer from diabetes or heart conditions./ Thus the average health quality of an American is less than that of a Frenchmen and the US will appear lower than France on a health index. But that says nothing of the quality of care provided by to an average American which is higher than most countries including the UK.

As for the cost, it is well known that US health care is expensive, this is at least in part due to the quality of the care. But for a realistic comparison you need to look at GDP per capita:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

USA: 6) $51,704
U: 21) $36,569

Health care percentage of GDP/capita using your un-sourced costs:
USA: 16.6%
UK: 9.9%

So Americans are paying on average 6.7% more of their average wealth to pay for better health care. But they aren't even paying that, for the most part their employers are.

Don't get me wrong. I like the concept of the NHS and I don't like the fact that some Americans are uninsured or even uninsurable. I'm just pointing out that the UK system is far from cheap, and from the perspective of the net pay going into your bank account each month the average American will be better off with less health care costs than the average UK citizen paying 12% NI. The ultimate health care system lies somewhwere in-between!

Last edited:
Caporegime
NHS fixed me when I nearly died so I'm quite a fan of them. On the downside it did cost me a gall bladder and a load of internal tubing so hmm...guess there was a price!

Soldato
Well just yesterday they allowed me home from hospital following a heart attack at the weekend. I received excellent treatment throughout. And still hear to tell the tale.

If all you have to moan about is paying £8 for a prescription you are blessed.

Soldato
If you live near or in Wales, you get free prescriptions.

If you want to know the true cost of drugs, get hold of a current BNF, which lists the price of said drugs/treatments

For example, a diabetic might be prescribed a GLP such as Victoza. This will be just one of several drugs needed each day. That alone is £180 (In America, its $528). This is what the NHS get charged and can be bought from India at a fraction of the cost, but supplier agreements mean that the NHS can only complain and the supplier will bring it down a little.

The entitlement brigade think that the NHS should supply toiletries and pyjamas when people are brought in.

Associate
I think the NHS is great given the cost of private healthcare - last set of blood tests I had would have cost £1500 privately. If you have an on-going condition it's a real safety net...I'm waiting to find out if I have MS - if I do I dread to think about the potential costs for care in the future. I've recently lost the sight in my right eye - if I have to have anti-EVGF injections they're £350 a time and are required once a month for four months. Without the NHS I'd be screwed.

ps - glad you're still around DampDog :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom