Whats toast here?

Soldato
Hiya,
Got a slightly odd situation here, leaning towards either the mobo or the RAM-
Finally got round to assembling the server that I've been meaning to for a while now, but I've got a guess the bust bit situation lol. The specs:
Abit KX7-333R board
Duron 1000+
256mb TwinMos RAM
20gb Seagate HDD

Most of these bits were picked up from the MM at one stage or another for the build- Untested by me, but told working. Anyway, after reseating the CPU & HSF after the first attempt failed the machine boots, sort of :( The RAID bios initialises if I have it turned on, and then I get this message:
Initiating bootstrap 18h....
The first time I turned it on, it booted fine & loaded Grub (There's already a Linux install on the drive), but attempting to boot gave me a kernel paninc, complaining about not being able to find init among others.
I then powered off the machine, was going to try running memtest from the Grub menu, but it now won't get past the bootstrap message- The screen goes blank & the KB stops.

I'm pretty much suspecting RAM here, but I've got no access to Memtest unless the machine boots & the stuff in the main machine is too big. The only other broken thing could be the mobo, but this seems OK & all BIOS options work nicely.

Thoughts before I try to get hold of the original RAM owner & RMA this stuff?

-Leezer-

Man of Honour
Does the POST work? If the Ram is counted there then you should be able to progress. Are you sure that the Linux install will be ok even though you are switching round components? Windows would probably have a hissy fit and I don't know if Linux is any better in that regard.

It could well be Ram but it could still be a few other things before that.

Soldato
OP
The machine posts alright, its when it hits the screen that shows IRQs that everything falls over- From the one sucessful boot, it showed this then ran the boot order, & now its not even getting that far.

The Linux install should be bootable in some regards- I've switched HDDs in the past & its still worked after a reconfigure of the X-Server, and at the least I should be getting a console. The fact it didn't even find init on the single boot attempt tells me theres something completely toast somewhere- This is one of the primary system scripts, comes before it even loads the kernel.

-Leezer-

Back
Top Bottom